BP Mods Showcase BP Gear Shop JAGalaxy.com BP Facebook Page Bear's Pit IRC

Who's Online
1 registered (Uriens), 14 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#296345 - 06/01/2012 XCOM is back and it is turn based!

Hanokh1967
private
Loc: Outer Banks, NC USA
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/01/05/1601713.aspx

It will probably be on Steam like Civ 5, but I might have to get this one anyway!
#296346 - 06/01/2012 Re: XCOM is back and it is turn based! [Re: Hanokh1967]

howareyou32
Sergeant Major
Loc: New York, New York
wait wait wait for it
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry
#296354 - 06/01/2012 Re: XCOM is back and it is turn based! [Re: howareyou32]

Dieter

lt
Here is Firaxis' page for XCOM: Enemy Unknown.

There promo site is sort of empty.

Their forum appears to have 10k posts.

I haven't read sh*t on their forum, but it looks like they are aiming to make a FPS not set in the future... so, uhm, yah... good luck with that, at least it has XCOM in the title, probably all it has from the original.

By the way, is it just me or does the alien look like an (ugly) artist rendering and not an in game screen capture?

Edited by Dieter (06/01/2012)
#296373 - 06/01/2012 Re: XCOM is back and it is turn based! [Re: Dieter]

lockie
Slasher of Threads ;-)
Major General
Loc: Scotland
Hah , it's Gollum .... precious fish in his mouth , by the look of it .. grin

Edited by lockie (06/01/2012)

smile
#296382 - 06/01/2012 Re: XCOM is back and it is turn based! [Re: lockie]

Dieter

lt
Exactly lockie, when playing a computer game it should make me "want" to shoot the enemies, I really shouldn't feel sorry for killing them. This alien looks so pittyful that it feels more like a "bash the baby seal" chore.
#296394 - 07/01/2012 Re: XCOM is back and it is turn based! [Re: Dieter]

howareyou32
Sergeant Major
The hope of having a new xcom strategy game is far better than anything-else. That picture do not look so good for sure but I think they are just start planning it. Wait for it.
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry
#296395 - 07/01/2012 Re: XCOM is back and it is turn based! [Re: howareyou32]

Sam_Hotte
lt
Loc: Middle of Germany
This IMVHO is no screenshot at all but rather concept or box art.

And, eh guys, be honest, we're more like Samwise and would have shot Gollum, wouldn't we?! wink
SharkD's hotkeys
#296396 - 07/01/2012 Re: XCOM is back and it is turn based! [Re: Dieter]

Hawkeye
Sergeant Major
Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: Dieter
Exactly lockie, when playing a computer game it should make me "want" to shoot the enemies, I really shouldn't feel sorry for killing them. This alien looks so pittyful that it feels more like a "bash the baby seal" chore.

You wouldn't say that after he's trashed one of your Heavy Weapon Platforms, or stuck a mind probe up ya!
#296401 - 07/01/2012 Re: XCOM is back and it is turn based! [Re: Hawkeye]

Dieter

lt
Oh man Hawkeye, have you ever played UFO: Extraterrestrials, there is a level where you need to get into a bunker built in a mountain, every alien has mind probes, they can "see" you through the rock, and they can mind f*ck you through the rock as well, and your guys don't have any psi abilities. Best way to make it through is drop all weapons, this way your team can't hurt each other, and just walk tile by tile, fall unconscious, wake up, one more tile, unconscious again, until you take out one alien after another. The entire sector takes several hours real time to complete.
#296403 - 07/01/2012 Re: XCOM is back and it is turn based! [Re: Dieter]

lockie
Slasher of Threads ;-)
Major General
Well , that's ruined that section for me now .... widegrin

smile
#296424 - 08/01/2012 Re: XCOM is back and it is turn based! [Re: Dieter]

Hawkeye
Sergeant Major
Loc: Australia
Don't think I played that one, Dieter. I only stuck with the original UFO: Enemy Unknown and the sequel Terror from the Deep the following version left me cold and I never bothered since, but then maybe JA2 saw to that. smirk

At least this one is being developed by an experienced and acclaimed studio.

Oh and yes, that shot is all concept art, it's actually a cover of a mag, the back shows more...

#296554 - 11/01/2012 Re: XCOM is back and it is turn based! [Re: Hawkeye]

Majek
lt
Loc: Slovenia
Here's some more info
http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?117098-New-info-from-game-informer

Quote:
Destructible environments

•In the scenario they showed, one member died. Because of this the other squadmates didn't get an experience bonus

•Without the bonus, the sniper leveled up still. He was able to choose from two abilities. Either Squad Sight(which means he can shoot anything a squadmate can see) and Snap Shot(which lets him shoot after moving. Something snipers aren't normally allowed to do)

•You can't recruit specific classes. You can only recruit rookies and then level them up to become specific classes

•The guys in suits in the screenshots are 'Thin Man' aliens. They're able to leap long distances

•Challenge is stressed a lot

•same quick save/load system though they are considering an iron man type mode where you can't load previous saves

•Firaxis states that they're not rebooting it, they're re imagining it. Using the same core gameplay with modern technology, weapons, audiovisuals, etc.

There's apparently a 'Heavy Armed Mobile Cover Platform that serves as a powerful rock on which to anchor any tactical advantage' and you can directly customize the heavy troops armor and weapons individually.

THE VAST MAJORITY OF XCOM'S CONTENT COMES IN THE FORM OF PROCEDURUALLY GENERATED MISSIONS AND ENCOUNTERS, MEANING THAT EVERY PLAYTHROUGH UNFOLDS DIFFERENTLY. (Sorry for the caps, just quoting here.)

•randomly generated missions, terrain. Developer says you'll never play the exact same mission twice outside of a few story missions which feature in-game cinematics

•fog of war is confirmed. area starts off with darkness everywhere, and the average soldier can't see ☺☺☺☺

•enemy spawns are randomized

•mobile platform called SHIV; customizable for new chasis

•Sectoids and Mutons confirmed

•The base's screenshot is accurate. It is now a side shot instead of top down. You can also upgrade your base, like the satellite, with alien technology

•There was an example in one scenario where Japan had the laser rifle already developed before the invasion because they felt threatened, so that seems random.

•You have 16 countries in the funding council you need to keep happy. Some provide more money, but others, like Africa, provide more raw resources

•The sniper units have a grappling hook ability to get on top of buildings

•Gunners have a suppressing fire

•you can equip your xcom guys with all kinds of different guns. customization looks like a big deal

•Apparently there's some sort of cinematic view when your guys get killed. They didn't cite VATS or anything, so I doubt it's too in depth

•Unexperienced agents can panic, freak out, etc if something bad happens

•Firaxis designer states that the PC version will have an enhanced interface. He cites Dragon Age: Origins on PC and console as a big inspiration

•No black blobs in Firaxis's XCOM. The guys in suits are called "Thin Men" and they can use weapons, jump large distances, and puke disgusting goo.

•No action points. The game uses a move-and-shoot (or move-and-move) dynamic. They don't want people piddling around counting individual action points. Some will call this a concession to consolitis; others will call it useful streamlining.

•Soldiers gain perk-like abilities when leveling up; some examples given are, for a sniper, Snap Shot (move-then-shoot, not normally a sniper option) or Squad Sight (shoot any enemy anyone on your squad can see -- not sure of the rationale there....).

•Environments are destructible, as we would wish.

•Soldiers can still panic, but not to the point of wiping the squad. Likewise, you'll never get plasma-bombed right out of the carrier. They want to make the game more fair, and those were specifically mentioned.

•The strategic layer is extremely robust. You still need to choose which countries to send missions to, which offers of aid (in exchange for more protection) you'll accept from which countries, which alien technologies you'll research, etc. The back-and-forth between tactical and strategic play remains at the heart of the game.

•Overwatch, duck-and-cover, etc. are all still very much present, tactically.

•You can research vehicles, which take the place of a squaddie. They don't gain XP and when they are destroyed they are lost for good, but they provide serious cover and firepower. One example given is a mobile heavy weapons platform that serves as a good overwatcher for a tactical advance.

•Sectoids and Mutons are in. Cyberdiscs and Thin Men are also mentioned. Evidently psionics are also in.

•Aliens have their own special perk-like abilities as well.
Overall it looks really ☺☺☺☺ing fantastic and I am now DAY ONE.

The article specifically cites a sniper spending their entire turn to take an aimed shot for Massive Damage. Perhaps it's more accurate to think of the game as having only two action points per turn, for Move-Shoot, or Move-Move, or Aim-Shoot, etc.

Gus, like I said, overwatch is in the game. In, in, in the game. You definitely can set up squaddies who haven't used all their actions in a turn, such that they can do overwatch and shoot the instant something comes into view.

Reloading costs an action, so it is a tactical consideration. Ducking into cover is the main positioning mechanic they mention. They also mention supppressive fire as another mechanic -- your heavy weapons guy can lay down a barrage that can paralyze pinned units (e.g. remove their actions). Grenades are in, wounding is in. Generally it doesn't sound like there are fewer tactical options, but rather that the bookkeeping is simplified.

(This part was by the author of the GI article)
Apologies if the article was unclear, but the deal is that sniper rifles are unusual in that they take a full turn to shoot. You can unlock a move-shoot perk for snipers at some experience level, but your basic sniper rifle takes a full turn to fire.

Ammo is abstracted. You're assumed to be carrying enough clips to reload as much as you want, but it takes a turn to do so. Suppressive fire is crazy awesome, for instance, but it burns through ammo like a mofo so you're borrowing turns down the road to kick ass now.

Body positions - AIUI you are assumed to be kneeling behind partial cover etc. They didn't go into a ton of detail here. Personally that's a level of control granularity that I'm not concerned about preserving, so long as I have other awesome ☺☺☺☺ that I can do and creative tactics to explore. Which from what I've seen will not be lacking.

So yeah, you only have one base. Building different bases has been removed, but you still buy satellite coverage (the new radar) and build hangars for interception in different countries. Your single base is like way more crazy awesome than any base from the original, though, and presents lots of opportunities for more decision-making in terms of digging deeper as well as what kind of expansion facilities you add on (see the screenshot of the "ant farm" that we put online Monday).

I guess the only real negative thing so far might be unlimited ammo, but i think they can pull of it off. After all what good is unlimited ammo when you have an empty gun and you die. widegrin

I'm really looking forward to this and it's coming this year. It might not be such a bad year afterall. smile

#296564 - 11/01/2012 Re: XCOM is back and it is turn based! [Re: Majek]

lockie
Slasher of Threads ;-)
Major General
it does look a million times more interesting , no dammit , exciting than BIA !

smile
#296669 - 14/01/2012 Re: XCOM is back and it is turn based! [Re: lockie]

Majek
lt

#296677 - 14/01/2012 Re: XCOM is back and it is turn based! [Re: Majek]

lockie
Slasher of Threads ;-)
Major General
Quote:
The 16 individual countries will each have demands and assign missions - the article mentions Japan requesting a shipment of laser rifles as a reaction to XCOM not protecting their territory, and Africa as being a poor continent but rich in raw materials needed for manufacturing (each continent will have a bonus). The missions are mostly procedurally generated, but there are specific "tentpole scenarios that take place at certain points in the narrative. These come in several forms, from in-game cinematics showing the growing alien threat through the lens of human newscasts to setpiece tactical battles. Firaxis hopes to use these moments to create some semblance of overarching narrative despite the strategic layer being completely player-driven... Firaxis insists that its tactical AI as well as the unique capabilities and squad compositions each player will bring to them will maintain the game's integrity."

Interesting.... very interesting .
And , the rest sounds bloody good too , think my money's going on this rather than BIA .

smile
#296725 - 15/01/2012 Re: XCOM is back and it is turn based! [Re: lockie]

Gorro der Grüne
Semitroll by appointment of Shanga I of Deidranistan
lt
Loc: Broadwurschd-City
+1 @ birthdayBear

A lot of people start panicing when told to use their brains

Commander in Croc, OFBA

Founder and Leader of the GDTS
#296737 - 15/01/2012 Re: XCOM is back and it is turn based! [Re: Gorro der Grüne]

lockie
Slasher of Threads ;-)
Major General
Thank you ! smile

smile
#296747 - 15/01/2012 Re: XCOM is back and it is turn based! [Re: lockie]

Sam_Hotte
lt
Happy bearsday, lockie! smile
SharkD's hotkeys
#296748 - 15/01/2012 Re: XCOM is back and it is turn based! [Re: Sam_Hotte]

DepressivesBrot
Chief Hamster Herder
captain
Happy Birthday lockie!
My Inbox is for IMPORTANT stuff, NOT random queries about the game.
#296754 - 15/01/2012 Re: XCOM is back and it is turn based! [Re: DepressivesBrot]

tao
A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man. -Vito Corleone
Major
Loc: The Known Universe
@Lockster

Another one??? How many of those are you going to have?

tao
playboy
#301269 - 07/03/2012 Re: XCOM is back and it is turn based! [Re: tao]

Kaerar
Drifter
Brigadier General
Loc: Australia :D
The turn based combat and the base building looks fantastic for this re-imagining. Basically everything I could dream of for a 3D engine for JA2 really. However it's being designed with Base to Sector gameplay so unlikely to be able to be modded for JA players frown

However if the JA IP owner and Firaxis got into bed, we'd be in heaven with aliens widegrin

Oh and here's a teaser vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uHHmTSDCvA&feature=player_embedded

Edited by Kaerar (07/03/2012)
#301342 - 08/03/2012 Re: XCOM is back and it is turn based! [Re: Kaerar]

howareyou32
Sergeant Major
Man I think I am falling in love again. Can not wait for it.
#302690 - 02/04/2012 Re: XCOM is back and it is turn based! [Re: howareyou32]

Yakapo
private 1st class
Turn based + fog of war?

I'm definitely picking this up... when it's $10 or less. =D
#302923 - 07/04/2012 Re: XCOM is back and it is turn based! [Re: Yakapo]

fleabittendog
corporal
Loc: Canada
If you want to look at something which will be a lot more faithful to the original XCOM then go to www.xenonauts.com. It's being made by Goldhawk Interactive (never heard of them before) who seem to be lead by an actual XCOM fan rather than a marketing exec trying to lure kids away from Modern Warfare. They are releasing their version around the same time as Firaxis (unfortunately for them) and you can try their latest pre-beta release if your willing to preorder. It's only around 20 dollars though. It is still quite buggy, of course, but the gameplay is great. Turn based, fog of war, 2d graphics, which I prefer for this type of game, and really has the feeling of the original but with upgrades that don't seem gimmicky or out of place. I'll probably end up trying the Firaxis game anyway just in case it will be as good as they say but I think xenonauts will be a far more satisfying game. I wish they would have taken hold of JA2 instead of Bitcomposer.
#302928 - 07/04/2012 Re: XCOM is back and it is turn based! [Re: fleabittendog]

lockie
Slasher of Threads ;-)
Major General
I'll probably buy both , and I doubt I'll spend any cash on BIA , tried the demo and .... underwhelmed , sadly . frown

smile
#302935 - 07/04/2012 Re: XCOM is back and it is turn based! [Re: lockie]

fleabittendog
corporal
"tried the demo and .... underwhelmed , sadly ."
Yeah, same here. I didn't mind the plan and go or whatever it's called though it's still a far cry from turn based. But no fog of war just makes it a shooting gallery and to gut all the rpg and story elements takes any joy out of it. It doesn't seem like it would be a horrible game. Just one of those that you would play for a few days and then would disappear from your memory.

Edited by fleabittendog (07/04/2012)
#302945 - 07/04/2012 Re: XCOM is back and it is turn based! [Re: fleabittendog]

howareyou32
Sergeant Major
"Xenonauts"?

How can I miss that? Their pictures look good enough. Too bad there is no playable demo yet.
#303308 - 12/04/2012 Re: XCOM is back and it is turn based! [Re: fleabittendog]

VeeDotJA2
Corporal 1st class
Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: fleabittendog
If you want to look at something which will be a lot more faithful to the original XCOM then go to www.xenonauts.com. It's being made by Goldhawk Interactive (never heard of them before) who seem to be lead by an actual XCOM fan rather than a marketing exec trying to lure kids away from Modern Warfare. They are releasing their version around the same time as Firaxis (unfortunately for them) and you can try their latest pre-beta release if your willing to preorder. It's only around 20 dollars though. It is still quite buggy, of course, but the gameplay is great. Turn based, fog of war, 2d graphics, which I prefer for this type of game, and really has the feeling of the original but with upgrades that don't seem gimmicky or out of place. I'll probably end up trying the Firaxis game anyway just in case it will be as good as they say but I think xenonauts will be a far more satisfying game. I wish they would have taken hold of JA2 instead of Bitcomposer.

I love X-Com as much as JA2, and you had my hopes up so I went to the Xenonauts site becaue I wasn't familiar with this fanmade version, and saw this:

"Final mission launch code must be added.
Alien AI must be implmented, including racial abilities and psionic powers. At the moment it is very basic.
AI for friendly AI soldiers must be implemented"

and about 15 other critical unfinished items.

I couldn't find a free demo to download, the screenshots and video do look good however! You claim to have a pre-beta - are you involved in the project? The download page only gives access to a "development build" for $20 (asking $30!).
#303315 - 12/04/2012 Re: XCOM is back and it is turn based! [Re: VeeDotJA2]

Gambigobilla
first sergeant
There is also UFO: Alien Invasion

http://ufoai.org/

lolwut
#303317 - 12/04/2012 Re: XCOM is back and it is turn based! [Re: Gambigobilla]

howareyou32
Sergeant Major
UFOAI is very good already. I just hate the fact that they do not have the destroyable terrain in it. That is one of the core feature in ufo game. How can they miss that? But a good game in the end.
#303340 - 12/04/2012 Re: XCOM is back and it is turn based! [Re: howareyou32]

Yakapo
private 1st class
hopefully they will allow mods to the pc version. I don't understand why they got rid of the TU based system. I liked being able to choose how many action points you use aiming moving/crouching etc. Maybe they could have an option to enable TU's in the pc version? Also I hope there's an option to turn off those little action clips. I don't want it to ever move the camera unless I move it.

#303390 - 13/04/2012 Re: XCOM is back and it is turn based! [Re: Yakapo]

Mauser
The one who knocks
lt
Loc: Bavaria - Germany
looks pretty promising i must say!

true turn based, faithful to the original and with some cool new features that make everything more dynamic an dramatic.

now, if this game actually comes with decent modding tools, i could see the future of JA modding right there!

#303449 - 15/04/2012 Re: XCOM is back and it is turn based! [Re: VeeDotJA2]

fleabittendog
corporal
"You claim to have a pre-beta - are you involved in the project? The download page only gives access to a "development build" for $20 (asking $30!)."
I have the alpha build which anyone can get for $20 by preordering. There are a lot of things they are still working on, like enemy ai, and I know they did get rid of psionics as they believed it got to be overpowered later in the game. They stress that the alpha build is just that but it is playable and you can help them bug hunt. I have heard a release date towards the end of the year but who knows. The guy leading the team is an x-com fan who got tired of seeing crappy remakes and sunk his entire life savings into developing this game. So i think he wants to make sure it's finished before he releases it. The $30 asking price is for premium membership which is basically a an extra $10 donation to the developer in return for some TBA reward. Since I can't take my kids to see a lousy movie for under $50 it didn't seem like a big price tag to me.
I've also played UFOAI and like it but it uses the quake 2 engine and also is still developing. It has no real ending as yet, you just capture an enemy base and that's it. But it's free and still fun for a day or two.
#303485 - 16/04/2012 Re: XCOM is back and it is turn based! [Re: fleabittendog]

VeeDotJA2
Corporal 1st class
"You claim to have a pre-beta - are you involved in the project? The download page only gives access to a "development build" for $20 (asking $30!)."
I have the alpha build which anyone can get for $20 by preordering. There are a lot of things they are still working on, like enemy ai, and I know they did get rid of psionics as they believed it got to be overpowered later in the game. They stress that the alpha build is just that but it is playable and you can help them bug hunt. I have heard a release date towards the end of the year but who knows. The guy leading the team is an x-com fan who got tired of seeing crappy remakes and sunk his entire life savings into developing this game. So i think he wants to make sure it's finished before he releases it. The $30 asking price is for premium membership which is basically a an extra $10 donation to the developer in return for some TBA reward. Since I can't take my kids to see a lousy movie for under $50 it didn't seem like a big price tag to me.
I've also played UFOAI and like it but it uses the quake 2 engine and also is still developing. It has no real ending as yet, you just capture an enemy base and that's it. But it's free and still fun for a day or two.

I just feel that if you are involved you ought to disclose. I would spend the $20 but it isn't playable so why would I, what can I say? Charging full game price for a game without even AI coding is a difficult sell. No demo available so I cant even get a taste! BTW demo = free but limited, just so you know. I do wish them luck, however, and will stay informed.

I tried UFO AI about two years ago and it was very playable even then. I didn't like that there wasn't destructible terrain and the engine prevents this. This is a deal breaker for me. JA2 has destructible terrain and cover penetration in a really old engine.

I'm about to go to GoG and pick up Free Space 2 for $2.99.
#303494 - 16/04/2012 Re: XCOM is back and it is turn based! [Re: VeeDotJA2]

fleabittendog
corporal
"I just feel that if you are involved you ought to disclose. I would spend the $20 but it isn't playable so why would I, what can I say?"

Either I'm confused or you are. I am in no way involved in the development. I merely pre-ordered the game, which anyone can do for $20, and for doing that they allow you to download their alpha version which is, in fact, playable. But as with any development build, it is far from finished. They can't have a demo for a game still in alpha but this is as close as you can get. It will have destructible terrain. For me the $20 wasn't that big a deal. I spend far more on far stupider things.

I guess I just felt I was helping a small independent developer who was trying to finally do the game justice because he liked the game not because he wanted to cash in on the brand name. Which is what a lot of guys on this forum have done with JA2. Only he's also sunk his life savings into it.
If you want to know exactly what's in the alpha version just check out their forums which are linked from the game page.

Free Space 2 does look interesting. I don't remember it though I used to play combat flight sims before they turned into flight sims with guns added and got too complicated for me. I got fed up trying to figure out perfect prop pitch and diddle with lean and rich fuel mixtures etc., while my plane was being shot to pieces. I miss the old Tie Fighter.
#303499 - 16/04/2012 Re: XCOM is back and it is turn based! [Re: fleabittendog]

Sam_Hotte
lt
Do you know 'Freelancer', Fleabittendog?
If not, you might like it as it is mainly a space fight simulation (derived from 'Wing Commander', based on 'Starlancer' and similar to 'Tie Fighter' or 'X-Wing') with a very light business simulation (like in JA2 you have to earn some money in order to spent it on equipment and guns) and a Universe to explore.
There also is some modding community active around this game.
SharkD's hotkeys
#303510 - 16/04/2012 Re: XCOM is back and it is turn based! [Re: fleabittendog]

VeeDotJA2
Corporal 1st class
"I am in no way involved in the development."

I guess I just felt I was helping a small independent developer who was trying to finally do the game justice because he liked the game not because he wanted to cash in on the brand name. Which is what a lot of guys on this forum have done with JA2. Only he's also sunk his life savings into it.

That's all I wanted to know. There are many X-Com clones and fan made games that are pretty good. I wish the best for anyone that tries fill the shoes of X-Com. They are big shoes. I wasn't trying to offend you. It's just that if someone is involved they have a tendency to overhype to gain support for their project and I wanted to know if this is the case here seeing as how I can't test for myself. You were evangelizing pretty hard there.

It takes me a couple of hours of my life to make $20 (after taxes). That's where I'm coming from.

I was going to leave it there but then you trashed some unnamed JA2 modders. Since in my opinion the JA2 modders haven given *hugely* of their free time and ask nothing in return I need to question your motives here.

"...wanted to cash in on the brand name. Which is what a lot of guys on this forum have done with JA2.

Is this true? I haven't seen anyone charge for mods here. I even saw a couple of original JA2 developers post helpful information to help modders out. Can you give an example of this "cashing in?"

And who exactly *is* asking for money by cashing in on the X-Com brand? Xenonauts developers drop the X-Com name in a couple of obvious spots including the front page in a quote that can't possibly be a review since the game isn't even released! Buddy, *that* is the defintion of "cashing in."

From Xenonauts website:
"I’ve been waiting a long time for an X-COM remake that actually feels anything like X-COM. It is not in my nature to believe that dreams can come true."
"The game is heavily inspired by the classic X-Com / UFO: Enemy Unknown"

I really hope Xenonauts succeeds because I don't wish failure on anybody, but you just come across as a shill for an unfinished product.
#303513 - 16/04/2012 Re: XCOM is back and it is turn based! [Re: VeeDotJA2]

Sam_Hotte
lt
Originally Posted By: VeeDotJA2
"...wanted to cash in on the brand name. Which is what a lot of guys on this forum have done with JA2.

Is this true?

No, because you omitted the relevant part in the quote. My reading is that he was saying that - like the JA2 community here - the Xenonauts guy is doing it for liking the game but "NOT because he wanted to cash in on the brand name."
SharkD's hotkeys
#303519 - 17/04/2012 Re: XCOM is back and it is turn based! [Re: Sam_Hotte]

VeeDotJA2
Corporal 1st class
Originally Posted By: Sam_Hotte
No, because you omitted the relevant part in the quote. My reading is that he was saying that - like the JA2 community here - the Xenonauts guy is doing it for liking the game but "NOT because he wanted to cash in on the brand name."

I stand corrected! Rereading the full quote by fleabittendog it still sounded a bit like he was leveling an accusation on the JA2 community to make a point; but that makes little sense so it is likely my reading error. He therefore says: neither Xenonauts nor the JA2 mod community are cashing in. I understand his point now and I was not trying to take him out of context but I thought I was reiterating the relevant part which I addressed, which was the (supposed) attack.

Nevertheless, I respectfully disagree and believe that *is* what the Xenonauts team is doing. But I tend to make mistakes. tongue

I see that this has been quite a back and forth. It is so hard to transmit nuances in a message board that I read into things and maybe not being clear myself. I smile as I type, believe me - see! smile I really want this team to succeed and I am afraid I sound harsh so I will leave off here.

Apologies again if I misquoted that isn't my style (especially since the whole post was visible anyway), it was just my tired eyes.
#303531 - 17/04/2012 Re: XCOM is back and it is turn based! [Re: VeeDotJA2]

fleabittendog
corporal
"but you just come across as a shill for an unfinished product."

Wow. I didn't expect that. I am in no way connected with the developers and I am not trying to sell the game. I just thought of it as an alternative to the Firaxis version. As I said, I will probably try both. I just liked the idea of what they were doing. And I certainly didn't mean to imply that the modders on this forum, who work for no money, are trying to cash in on anything. Maybe I didn't express myself well enough. I just made a connection between the guy developing Xenonauts and the modders here because they love the games they are working on rather than being driven by a market. And yes, this guy is trying to make money, but to be honest, as a small independent, he will be lucky to break even. As for paying $20 for an unfinished product, you are pre-ordering the full game, the alpha download is just a teaser (and I think he's looking for bug hunters). I understand that for some people that's a lot of money but for me, it wasn't a big deal. Try it or not, just a suggestion. And you didn't offend me, I just think my communication skills are not as good as I thought. I've never used smiley faces and the like so maybe I should start to better express my meaning. smile

"Do you know 'Freelancer', Fleabittendog?"

No, I've never heard of it. I'll have to take a look. I have tried X3 Terran Conflict but I find it hard to get into as I think it's mainly a trade based game with space combat thrown in. But it does seem to have a huge following of somewhat fanatic followers. Do you use any of the mods for Freelancer. I just googled it and it seems like there is a pretty active modding community. Thanks for the tip.
#303532 - 17/04/2012 Re: XCOM is back and it is turn based! [Re: fleabittendog]

Sam_Hotte
lt
I'm not quite familiar with mods to Freelancer. But i do know that there is a large and active multiplayer community on a mod called "Crossfire". They have hugely increased the universe and created a sequel story to the single player campaign that can be experienced on their servers:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/crossfire/

And there is a Star Wars total conversion in progress:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/fwtow

Man, on writing this i got the impression i need to play Freelancer myself again ... smile
SharkD's hotkeys
#303534 - 17/04/2012 Re: XCOM is back and it is turn based! [Re: Sam_Hotte]

fleabittendog
corporal
Just looked at the Crossfire mod. It looks quite well done. I think I might look into it. Thanks again.
#303906 - 25/04/2012 Re: XCOM is back and it is turn based! [Re: fleabittendog]

jamoecw
Civilian
Loc: California
there is even a mod turning freespace 2 into wing commander privateer:
http://www.wcsaga.com/

as far as a xenonaughts demo, i believe one is going to com out in may some time, though i could be wrong as i am not a developer (just a fan of tactical turn based games).

with xcom there are 2 different ones being made, one is turn based, the other is a fps.

the jagged alliance back in action demo i got off of steam had fog of war, though i wasn't too impressed, i guess if i played more and got used to how it is now it would be better, but something seems off, i have played real time tactical games (like altair's ufo: after* games) and they were fine.
#304537 - 09/05/2012 Re: XCOM is back and it is turn based! [Re: jamoecw]

JMich
Fighting the XML Editor
first sergeant
Loc: Greece
Bumping this to inform that Xenonauts is doing a Kickstarter and they also released a demo build there. Estimated delivery date is October 2012, and they claim they can finish the game even without the kickstarter, though the kickstarter will allow them to add a few extra things (like suppression)
#305002 - 20/05/2012 Re: XCOM is back and it is turn based! [Re: JMich]

Majek
lt
Hmmm, looks interesting. Might even back this one too, despite deciding that i'll skip KS projects since now there's too much chances of fraud.

Forum Stats
11333 Members
87 Forums
7375 Topics
134388 Posts

Max Online: 345 @ 01/05/2012
Copyright 2000-2013 Bear's Pit