Mods Repo Gear Shop JAGalaxy.com FB Page IRC Channel

Who's Online
7 registered (alwaysfirst, RoWa21, svtlio, hrvg, 3 invisible), 30 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 5 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#170586 - 13/01/2008 Re: ja2 v1.13 Multiplayer mod, rev. 11012008 ***** [Re: johno]

Tom86
private
i can't understand why it don't work, i'm sure that the firewall is off, my ja2_mp.ini is :

[Ja2_mp Settings]

; ** all of these need setting/adjusting for all the "features" wink
; basic multiplayer settings...; they can be changed for effect without restarting the engine, but a restart of the server/client or level/game may be necessary relevant....
; see the readme.html for detailed explanation
;
;-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SERVER_IP = "5.24.178.84"
;SERVER_IP = "192.168.1.101"

SERVER_PORT = 60005

CLIENT_NUM = 2
;1 through 4

OP_TEAM_1 = 1
OP_TEAM_2 = 1
OP_TEAM_3 = 1
OP_TEAM_4 = 1
;are you opposed or friendly with the above teams/cleint nums, 0=friendly team, 1=enemy, the setting for yours doesnt affect.
;these only come into effect if you are not playing a Co-Op only game, where the server has specified 1 for 'Co_Op' below...

CLIENT_NAME = "Ethan"
;this can be upto 30 'char' characters. make sure to keep the "quotation" marks around it !

SECTOR_EDGE = 1
;0 = north, 1 = south, 2 = east, 3 = west

CRATE_X = 114
CRATE_Y = 114
;crate examples: North middle: 56,34 East middle: 118, 43 South middle: 114, 114 West middle: 42, 118 (middle may be different per map size), given examples are for sector 9,1,0 "omerta".
; key '5' is bound to show the grid coordinates of the mouse cursor when in game...

;-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; THE FOLLOWING ONLY NEED TO BE SET BY SERVER, and have no effect on client box...

MAX_CLIENTS = 2
;game max is 4, can be less

MAX_MERCS = 4
; maximum number of mercs hireable by each client, max for game/mod is 7, there are 6 per squad...

DAMAGE_MULTIPLIER = .5
;can now be any decimal (FLOAT), .5 = half damage, 1 = full/normal damage, 2 = double damage

STARTING_BALANCE = 20000
;(leave out teh $ sign)

TIMED_TURN_SECS_PER_TICK = 50
;if timed turns enabled, divisor for how much allowed, default 100, less = more time.
;10 = 43 seconds, 15 = 28s, 20 = 22s, 25 = 19s, 50 = 17s, 100 = 15s, (with just cliff fresh on 22 ap's), it seems exponential, total number of MERCS/AP's comes into to ...

INTERRUPTS = 1
;0 = disable, 1 = enable, 2 = always (extreme ints for testing)

SAME_MERC = 1
;allow hiring of same merc by >1 client

Co_Op = 0
;1 = only coop, 0= allow opposition and alliances (0 overides above client settings for opposition)
;note : coop stil doesnt really work ... but can be loaded/tested...

DISABLE_BOBBY_RAYS = 0
DISABLE_AIM_AND_MERC_EQUIP = 0
;1==true, 0==false;

ENEMY_ENABLED = 0
CREATURE_ENABLED = 0
MILITIA_ENABLED = 0
CIV_ENABLED = 0
;leave creature disabled.

TESTING = 0
;when 1, enables cheat function bound to '9', containing helpfull testing function, show all mercs.

START_TEAM_TURN = 0
;bound to '8', if you want to manually start in turn-based action straight away, press this key, and the team specified here will start first,
;0==own team, 7=lan team 3, 8=lan 3, 9=lan 4
;server only;

the server ip is the hamachi ip.. me and my brother are on the same network..
we have 2 pc, my brother make server, press 1, after press 2 and wait me.. i press 2 and my client say ID_CONNECTION_ATTEMPT_FAILED.
frown
anyone can help me? someone make server i try to log for understand if the problem are me or the kind of connect that i have (fastweb)
#170587 - 13/01/2008 Re: ja2 v1.13 Multiplayer mod, rev. 11012008 [Re: Tom86]

Dr-D
master sgt
Loc: Portugal
write ipconfig in a MS-DOS console in both computers and show the result here
#170592 - 13/01/2008 Re: ja2 v1.13 Multiplayer mod, rev. 11012008 [Re: Dr-D]

haydent
master sgt
Loc: NSW, Australia
Quote:
What happens if a client disconnects or loses c onnection in a three player game? I guess the others can't finish the game, so maybe a feature could be added to skip not connecte players' turns

yes, good point it would cause quite the problem, so i need some code that teh server can execute to remove all the dropped players mercs and then the game would automatically skip their turn smile ill try and have that in next release, but thats after i get this sync things sorted atleast a bit better smile

in other related news: i just got put onto some great software called "MAXIVISTA", see their website for the rundown and a 14 day demo, (or the usual trappings for the full thing ) wink its only 5 mb...

in basic it turns your spare computer/laptop into a secondary monitor ! so it awesome for me as im using both my lcds on two different computers (one a laptop with no screen) so i have no spare monitor for a secondary on my main ! and this can be real handy for coding and other things even games where you need lots of desktop space.... its kinda like vnc and used the network so you dont need a second video card, and can keep the second computer running, as i need for testing this mod !, while being able to control the second monitor with your mouse and keyboard if active !, then disble it to turn that "second monitor/extended desktop" back into the primary monitor of you second computer, no cable changes !

especially good for laptops where yuo cant put a second video card in them for twin head action ... wink

ps

TOM:

can you ping the ip where your brother is running the server ?
#170593 - 13/01/2008 Re: ja2 v1.13 Multiplayer mod, rev. 11012008 [Re: haydent]

haydent
master sgt

Edited by haydent (13/01/2008)
#170611 - 13/01/2008 Re: ja2 v1.13 Multiplayer mod, rev. 11012008 [Re: haydent]

BlueScreen
Civilian
--Google Translation--

Hi Folks,

Unfortunately, I must tell you that I am no longer at my Ja2 Coop
Project work, since my laptop me, where all the files on it,
From any assholes been stolen.

I would create backups should ... But it is unfortunately too late ....

I was so far that it is a mode Coop, a Deathmatch, and a "kill these Soldiers"
Mode existed. The Coop mode is clear, we fought each other with a colleague
By the game, the Deathmatch means that it plays against each other, and
"Kill these Soldiers" mode is something quite new .. The player controls the
Soldiers of the enemy, so if player 1, Drassen attacks may Player 2
The enemy soldiers control. There was still a tab - function, where the
Ping rate, the player and the soldiers saw a chat function that the soldier and his
image at the top left Could talk, as usual, are wirs, except that
No language sounds, but only as a text.

The rationale was that a server would run, and all the games that have contacts,
So that you do not need to enter the IP, but just a game needs to click
With other computers too.

From her technique for me, it was an absolute angle:

The Parkete over TCP / IP has been sent, have never been greater than it per 1kb
Second, or command, which is a minimal delay, an Ultra Fast
Data transfer as follows. (Goods but not compressed and not encrypted).

Pings were from 5 ms it real!! (Here in Germany with friends played).

Of course, there were still a lot of mistakes, but not the game unplayable made,
But still disturbing. An Alpha should be released soon, so that it can also test
Can, and they can compare Haydents work. But unfortunately, it's no longer ...

I am sorry, my project will not be published to have backups and dragged them to have.
I find it a pity that all my work was for nothing.

Haydent Well, good luck and success in your Coop mode!

Im very sorry for my bad english!
#170638 - 13/01/2008 Re: ja2 v1.13 Multiplayer mod, rev. 11012008 [Re: BlueScreen]

Tom86
private
i think that the problem is my internet connection, i have fastweb, it is like a lan but it is in all Italy,so i haven't a public ip, and i can't host server..I passed the problem with hamachi, in other game work, but not in this..

my 2 ipconfig :

Edited by Tom86 (13/01/2008)
#170644 - 13/01/2008 Re: ja2 v1.13 Multiplayer mod, rev. 11012008 [Re: Tom86]

Dr-D
master sgt
Tom86

If you set the 1st(in the picture order) computer as server, edit his config file to:

SERVER_IP = "127.0.0.1"

then In the other computer, the client, edit the file to:

SERVER_IP = "42.242.60.103"

PS: Those network addresses are highly irregular, if any one of them are set by a local network admin, he maybe messing things up.
#170648 - 13/01/2008 Re: ja2 v1.13 Multiplayer mod, rev. 11012008 [Re: BlueScreen]

Crazybite
Corporal 1st class
Loc: Netherlands
Originally Posted By: BlueScreen
--Google Translation--

Hi Folks,

Project work, since my laptop me, where all the files on it,
From any assholes been stolen.

I would create backups should ... But it is unfortunately too late ....

Maybe it's not to late..... I read your post and from what I read you made a lot of work into your project, and it worked well. (apart from your 'mistakes') So, why not step up and help out haydent with his multiplayer? Looks like your version was a bit further along devellopment as you have chat function and some other functions not in haydent's version. In that way none of your work was in vain..

Edited by Crazybite (13/01/2008)
#170658 - 13/01/2008 Re: ja2 v1.13 Multiplayer mod, rev. 11012008 [Re: Crazybite]

redgun
master sgt
Loc: Austria
Just did some testing with RoWa. location sync worked nearly flawless. the worst sync we've had had been 2 or 3 tiles; the scond game we played was apparently without sync failure. -> Very exciting JA2 experience.
turnbased from the start + very good connection (<30ms) = WIN!

Playing against 2 or 3 mercs controlled by a human > playing against 120 AI black elites. theres nothing more exciting than moving around on a map before you've made any contact with the enemy. well actually there is something more excting: it's not knowing where the other oppenent mercs are.

right now, I'm doing bugzilla; i'll just have to say it again: thank you very much hayden, you're simply the best smile smile

Edited by redgun (13/01/2008)
#170676 - 13/01/2008 Re: ja2 v1.13 Multiplayer mod, rev. 11012008 [Re: redgun]

Shooty
private 1st class
This is simply superb! What almost everyone spoke of as it would never happen, now did!

All M.E.R.C.s should be enabled to be able to hire Gaston and Stogie.
Also I wonder if it reads all the damage and other item properties from the server computer only?

Thanks for a truly kick-ass work!
#170690 - 14/01/2008 Re: ja2 v1.13 Multiplayer mod, rev. 11012008 [Re: Shooty]

johno
Corporal 1st class
yea just a side note, will you enable buying rod+spring from bobby ray's and other stuff from the game that you can not buy?
#170694 - 14/01/2008 Re: ja2 v1.13 Multiplayer mod, rev. 11012008 [Re: BlueScreen]

haydent
master sgt
--Google Translation--

Hi Folks,

Project work

this is a true set back, i could tell by has been said about this effort and my own acceptance of limited coding experience that this would have been better in many ways... it sounded less of a hack and more professional.

i do like the idea of controlling the ai ! i may try that some day smile

such a shame, but for sure, i bet you dont feel like doing anymore on it... (alas the benefits ive felt of having an online svn when my harddrive crashed) , as it'd be great to have some help with and chat function would be big bonus !

im afraid you/he wont get this and cont read english tongue

oh, well damn.... (in other news)

- it should work fine over hamachi, sounds more like a config error, maybe the port is blocked, try another ?? maybe you need to open or forward some ports ??

- redgun, its sounds good to hear that, not as bad a condition as i thought... though im still looking into further sync, i realise another issue, when command to stop sent out from clients computer it may hit and affect the replication at a before it gets to sector grid the sender was upto... but theres mroe and i hope to have some fixed soon

- dr- D, if your out there and get this, thanks for pointing out the idea of disabling pause while screen not selected as main ! i happened across the code while getting further up the tree... so now even when the screen is not selected (and say chatting or have two instances run) it keeps going, you can still see it updating animation and network commands as if it were the main selected windows... !!! soon i wil diable manual game pausing al-together to really keep things going ...

- shooty, more chars are a must, and i hope to make to be able to play them all from the militia rebels, to the civ profiles and npcs, heres some lists:

Quote:

NPC:

enum NPCIDs
{
BIFF = 40,
HAYWIRE,
GASKET,
RAZOR,
FLO,
GUMPY,
LARRY_NORMAL,
LARRY_DRUNK,
COUGAR,
NUMB,
BUBBA,

MIGUEL = 57,
CARLOS,
IRA,
DIMITRI,

DEVIN, // 61
ROBOT,
HAMOUS,
SLAY,
RPC65,
DYNAMO,
SHANK,
IGGY,
VINCE,
CONRAD,

RPC71, // 71
MADDOG,
DARREL,
PERKO,
QUEEN,
AUNTIE,
ENRICO, //GABBY, //ENRICO,
CARMEN,
JOE,
STEVE,

RAT, // 81
ANNIE,
CHRIS,
BOB,
BRENDA,
KINGPIN,
DARREN,
MARIA,
ANGEL,
JOEY,

TONY, // 91
FRANK,
SPIKE,
DAMON,
KYLE,
MICKY,
SKYRIDER,
PABLO,
SAL,
FATHER,

FATIMA, // 101
WARDEN,
GORDON,
GABBY, //ENRICO, //GABBY,
ERNEST,
FRED,
MADAME,
YANNI,
MARTHA,
TIFFANY,

T_REX, // 111
DRUGGIST, // ELGIN
JAKE,
PACOS,
GERARD,
SKIPPER,
HANS,
JOHN,
MARY,
GENERAL,

SERGEANT, // 121
ARMAND,
LORA,
FRANZ,
HOWARD,
SAM,
ELDIN,
ARNIE,
TINA,
FREDO,

WALTER, // 131
JENNY,
BILLY,
BREWSTER,
ELLIOT,
DEREK,
OLIVER,
WALDO,
DOREEN,
JIM,

JACK, // 141
OLAF,
RAY,
OLGA,
TYRONE,
MADLAB,
KEITH,
MATT,
MIKE,
DARYL,

HERVE, // 151
PETER,
ALBERTO,
CARLO,
MANNY,
OSWALD,
CALVIN,
CARL,
SPECK,

PROF_HUMMER,

PROF_ELDERODO, // 161
PROF_ICECREAM,
PROF_HELICOPTER,
NPC164,
GASTON,
STOGIE,
TEX,
BIGGENS,
NPC169,
} ;

BOOLEAN QuoteExp_GenderCode[NUM_PROFILES] =
{
// this is for quote 58 (0=male, 1=female, 2=either)
/* 0 Barry */ 0,
/* 1 Blood */ 2,
/* 2 Lynx */ 0,
/* 3 Grizzly */ 2,
/* 4 Vicki */ 2,
/* 5 Trevor */ 2,
/* 6 Grunty */ 2,
/* 7 Ivan */ 2,
/* 8 Steroid */ 0,
/* 9 Igor */ 2,
/* 10 Shadow */ 0,
/* 11 Red */ 1,
/* 12 Reaper */ 0,
/* 13 Fidel */ 2,
/* 14 Fox */ 0,
/* 15 Sidney */ 0,
/* 16 Gus */ 1,
/* 17 Buns */ 2,
/* 18 Ice */ 0,
/* 19 Spider */ 1,
/* 20 Cliff */ 0,
/* 21 Bull */ 2,
/* 22 Hitman */ 2,
/* 23 Buzz */ 0,
/* 24 Raider */ 2,
/* 25 Raven */ 2,
/* 26 Static */ 2,
/* 27 Len */ 2,
/* 28 Danny */ 0,
/* 29 Magic */ 2,
/* 30 Stephan */ 0,
/* 31 Scully */ 2,
/* 32 Malice */ 2,
/* 33 Dr. Q */ 0,
/* 34 Nails */ 2,
/* 35 Thor */ 2,
/* 36 Scope */ 2,
/* 37 Wolf */ 2,
/* 38 MD */ 2,
/* 39 Meltdown*/ 2,
/* 40 Biff */ 2,
/* 41 Haywire */ 0,
/* 42 Gasket */ 2,
/* 43 Razor */ 0,
/* 44 Flo */ 2,
/* 45 Gumpy */ 0,
/* 46 Larryok */ 1,
/* 47 Larryold*/ 2,
/* 48 Cougar */ 2,
/* 49 Numb */ 0,
/* 50 Bubba */ 1,
/* 51 PGmale1 */ 0,
/* 52 PGmale2 */ 2,
/* 53 PGmale3 */ 2,
/* 54 PGLady1 */ 0,
/* 55 PGLady2 */ 1,
/* 56 PGLady3 */ 2,

/* 57 Miguel */ 0, // these RPC's don't have quotes written yet
/* 58 Carlos */ 0, // so this data is temporary.
/* 59 Ira */ 0,
/* 60 Dimitri */ 0,
/* 61 Devin */ 0,
/* 62 Rat */ 0,
/* 63 Madlab */ 0,
/* 64 Slay */ 0,
/* 65 Nanchuk */ 0,
/* 66 Dynamo */ 0,
/* 67 Prisoner*/ 0,
/* 68 Iggy */ 0,
/* 69 Doctor */ 0,
/* 70 MTI */ 0,
/* 71 RPC71 */ 0,
/* 72 Junkson */ 0,
/* 73 RPC73 */ 0,
/* 74 RPC74 */ 0,

as for the items, you can add anything, new and existing..., item sync and condition, and health not currently synced, hopefully soon...

Edited by haydent (14/01/2008)
#170728 - 14/01/2008 Re: ja2 v1.13 Multiplayer mod, rev. 11012008 [Re: BlueScreen]

ORFJackal
private 1st class
Loc: Finland
I find it a pity that all my work was for nothing.

It was not for nothing. Please read http://www.objectmentor.com/resources/articles/craftsman4.pdf

I underlined some key lessons from that article:

Originally Posted By: http://www.objectmentor.com/resources/articles/craftsman4.pdf
“Look.” Jerry said, clearly trying to calm me down. “Don’t become vested in your code. This was just thirty minutes worth of work. It’s not that big a deal. You need to be ready to throw away a lot more code than that if you want to become any kind of a programmer. Often the best thing you can do with a batch of code is throw it out.”
“But that’s such a waste!” I blurted.
“Do you think the value of a program is in the code?” he asked. “It’s not. The value of a program is in your head.”
He looked at me for a second, and then went on. “Have you ever accidentally deleted something you were working on? Something that took a few days of effort?”
“Once, at school.” I said. “A disk crashed and the latest backup was two days old.
He winced and nodded knowingly. Then he asked: “How long did it take you to recreate what you had lost?”
“I was pretty familiar with it, so it only took me about half a day to recreate it.”
“So you didn’t really lose two days worth of work.”
I didn’t care for his logic. I couldn’t refute it, but I didn’t like it. It had felt like I had lost two days worth of work!
“Did you notice whether the new code was better or worse than the code you lost?” he asked.
“Oh, it was much better.” I said, regretting my words the instant I said them. “I was able to use a much better structure the second time.”
He smiled. “So for an extra 25% effort, you wound up with a better solution.”
His logic was annoying me. I shook my head and nearly shouted: “Are you suggesting that we always throw away our code when we are done?”
To my astonishment he nodded his head and said: “Almost. I’m suggesting that throwing away code is a valid and useful operation. I’m suggesting that you should not view it as a loss. I’m suggesting that you not get vested in your code.”

I hope that you would join haydent's project. Your experience on implementing networking in JA2 would be of much benefit.
#170821 - 14/01/2008 Re: ja2 v1.13 Multiplayer mod, rev. 11012008 [Re: ORFJackal]

sanni
private 1st class
That would be my absolut dream, join your forces for the ultimate multiplayer widegrin
Playing it with 2 of my friends right know, little desync, 1 title, but the server crashed after one had no merc left ;'(
#170828 - 14/01/2008 Re: ja2 v1.13 Multiplayer mod, rev. 11012008 [Re: sanni]

RoWa21

captain
Originally Posted By: sanni
That would be my absolut dream, join your forces for the ultimate multiplayer widegrin
Playing it with 2 of my friends right know, little desync, 1 title, but the server crashed after one had no merc left ;'(

Did you start the game in turn-based mode? If so, there should not be much (or any) sync problems.
Play JA2 Multiplayer: http://webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=%23ja2-multiplayer
#170903 - 14/01/2008 Re: ja2 v1.13 Multiplayer mod, rev. 11012008 [Re: RoWa21]

haydent
master sgt
there's plenty for anybody if help is available, so many areas of differing challenge that could be attended to.

heres some basic articles on time/sync in multiplayer games i checked out,

http://viola.usc.edu/Research/alex_SPIEitcom03.pdf
http://warriors.eecs.umich.edu/games/papers/mtap-tss.pdf
http://www.mine-control.com/zack/timesync/timesync.html

for testing i implemented a simple system called "lock-step" synchronization, and made it that every animation update was synced, so no client could go ahead a frame until all clients had updated...

it worked but was a little slowing on the frame rate, increasing netowork data transfer to about 3-5kb/s constant ... so what im going to do is modify and slacken the checking, so it only does a lockstep check every grid, as before (every frame) there was about 4-14 checks per grid of movement and it happened all the time rather than only when moving...

and that was not necessary as nothing happens between grids AFAIK , sight updates and all that happens once you arrive in the middle of a grid... so if you have a client slacking of and lagging, it will hold everyone there until catch up... a bit annoying and maybe pausing but will hold sync, which is important with this game...
#170904 - 15/01/2008 Re: ja2 v1.13 Multiplayer mod, rev. 11012008 [Re: haydent]

sanni
private 1st class
Another problem accured today very often it that, at the screen were everybody places his merc, the server crashed to the desktop just in the same second one of the clients places his merc.
Anyone had that problem too?

Second problem, was not dying mercs again. Client 1 shot Client 2 in the leg and Client 2 dropped to the bottom before he was killed by Client 1. Same problem I had when a merc dropped to the bottom because of no stamina left before then getting killed. Merc is dead on victims screen, but not on killers screen. Game doesn't finish.

Then I have a question about saving and loading. Can you save after you placed and received on order from Boby Ray and after you outfitted your mercs? How to you load a game. Just go the continue saved game, then server presses 1 and 2 and clients 2?

Could there by an option to enable turned based from the start without having to press 8 at the beginning of an round?
#170905 - 15/01/2008 Re: ja2 v1.13 Multiplayer mod, rev. 11012008 [Re: sanni]

redgun
master sgt
the placement problem is known, but can be avoided easily.
just don't click anything at all, until the ingame help shows up, and all clients are ready for placement.

the death sync problems are also known, and being worked on, i guess
#170911 - 15/01/2008 Re: ja2 v1.13 Multiplayer mod, rev. 11012008 [Re: sanni]

haydent
master sgt
Another problem accured today very often it that, at the screen were everybody places his merc, the server crashed to the desktop just in the same second one of the clients places his merc.
Anyone had that problem too?

Second problem, was not dying mercs again. Client 1 shot Client 2 in the leg and Client 2 dropped to the bottom before he was killed by Client 1. Same problem I had when a merc dropped to the bottom because of no stamina left before then getting killed. Merc is dead on victims screen, but not on killers screen. Game doesn't finish.

Then I have a question about saving and loading. Can you save after you placed and received on order from Boby Ray and after you outfitted your mercs? How to you load a game. Just go the continue saved game, then server presses 1 and 2 and clients 2?

Could there by an option to enable turned based from the start without having to press 8 at the beginning of an round?

saving and loading seems to work fine, you can do it and when you load a game , just start teh servers and client up again. i do this alot as it really saves on time to get a game going when testing...

for sure turn based could happen from start auto, something i can out put in someday...

i hear about the crashs, and will look into it after i have finished the synching, that too and health,breath synching.
#170915 - 15/01/2008 Re: ja2 v1.13 Multiplayer mod, rev. 11012008 [Re: haydent]

Dr-D
master sgt
Good luck haydent.

Redgun, I will probably not be able to play test it with you, because i got a job:P

I'm gonna be system admin in some data centers.

Keep up the good work guys smile
#170916 - 15/01/2008 Re: ja2 v1.13 Multiplayer mod, rev. 11012008 [Re: Dr-D]

redgun
master sgt
Congratulations and best wishes for the new job. I hope you like it.
I'm looking forward to play against you, once the mod is finished. widegrin widegrin
#170920 - 15/01/2008 Re: ja2 v1.13 Multiplayer mod, rev. 11012008 [Re: redgun]

haydent
master sgt
smile
#171036 - 15/01/2008 Re: ja2 v1.13 Multiplayer mod, rev. 11012008 [Re: haydent]

RoWa21

captain
@all: Anyone who wants to play (test) the mutliplayer game, we will meet in

[url=irc://quakenet/ja2-multiplayer][url=irc://quakenet/ja2-multiplayer][url=irc://quakenet/ja2-multiplayer]irc://quakenet/ja2-multiplayer[/url][/url][/url]

Looking forward to see you :-)
#171041 - 15/01/2008 Re: ja2 v1.13 Multiplayer mod, rev. 11012008 [Re: Dr-D]

lockie
Slasher of Threads ;-)
Major General
Loc: Scotland
Quote:
Redgun, I will probably not be able to play test it with you, because i got a job:P

I'm gonna be system admin in some data centers.

Keep up the good work guys

well done dr , tho the medical profession is gonna miss you doctor :spaceship: (just wanted to use this icon!)

smile
#171092 - 16/01/2008 Re: ja2 v1.13 Multiplayer mod, rev. 11012008 [Re: lockie]

haydent
master sgt
Just a quick note chaps,

ive been at it pretty much, and took a break on face book for the afternoon ... and not feeling like rushing through this step, though i will probably submit for testing various attempts and fixes...

Im also going to set up a "bleeding-edge" svn branch, were i can put little updates to the latest build as i make them, this way keen folks can get the latest fixes easy, via compiling the source with something like visual studio 2003. this will save me time uploading binaries between builds just so people can test and have access to new changes.

apart from this things are going ok, i am slowly making progress... though often hurdles unknown are found once you get further into something.

happy birthday lockie, thanks for the support here, and how about a juicy ssh server account Dr-D ... ? (joking) (well not really, it would be good) have/make fun !

Hayden.
#171245 - 16/01/2008 Re: ja2 v1.13 Multiplayer mod, rev. 11012008 [Re: haydent]

sanni
private 1st class
Tested the multiplayer for about six hours today, 3 Players, 1-3 mercs each, sometimes with ordering from bobby rays somethimes without.
Crashed like everytime in the merc placement screen. Tested everything, crashed everytime.
Could only play one real game.
Having only one merc seemes to reduce crashing risk.
Waited everytime until info box dissapeared, tried placing servers merc first, tried placing them last, tried every possivility and order, but no luck.
Lots of time lost but not much fun today.
Don't know what we did wrong.

No problems with 2 players with crashing at placement.
#171246 - 16/01/2008 Re: ja2 v1.13 Multiplayer mod, rev. 11012008 [Re: sanni]

Dr-D
master sgt
sanni placing mercs crash was experienced by me and redgun when entering the sector from impossible sides:

in A9 sector, it is impossible to come from the north, so coming from the north my crash the game.

you sure you crash is not related to this?
#171247 - 16/01/2008 Re: ja2 v1.13 Multiplayer mod, rev. 11012008 [Re: Dr-D]

Dr-D
master sgt
haydent

the only ssh shell account i can offer you is in my home server.
#171248 - 16/01/2008 Re: ja2 v1.13 Multiplayer mod, rev. 11012008 [Re: Dr-D]

sanni
private 1st class
Originally Posted By: Dr-D
sanni placing mercs crash was experienced by me and redgun when entering the sector from impossible sides:

in A9 sector, it is impossible to come from the north, so coming from the north my crash the game.

you sure you crash is not related to this?

We played in chitzena mine, north, south, west. Placed the crades new(are looking like white plants)
But I never thought of that possibility, will test it again.

I have a question about bugzilla, how can I see all reportet bugs for the multiplayer, there is the searchbox but I cant leave it empty to find all. Is there a display all Mutliplayer related bugs function?
#171249 - 16/01/2008 Re: ja2 v1.13 Multiplayer mod, rev. 11012008 [Re: sanni]

haydent
master sgt

try this for all: you can edit and save your searches including this one:

http://ja2.discusrock.org/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=&product=Multi-player+v1.13+pre-beta&long_desc_type=allwordssubstr&long_desc=&bug_file_loc_type=allwordssubstr&bug_file_loc=&emailassigned_to1=1&emailreporter1=1&emailtype1=exact&email1=hthring%40lavabit.com&emailtype2=substring&email2=&bugidtype=include&bug_id=&votes=&chfieldfrom=&chfieldto=Now&chfieldvalue=&cmdtype=doit&order=Reuse+same+sort+as+last+time&known_name=all+bugs&query_based_on=all+bugs&field0-0-0=bug_status&type0-0-0=notequals&value0-0-0=UNCONFIRMED&field0-0-1=reporter&type0-0-1=equals&value0-0-1=hthring%40lavabit.com

this crashing bug sounds annoying... not sure what it is but ill look into it... im interested if we can find out what is causing it... perhaps it wasn't happening previous releases...
#171252 - 16/01/2008 Re: ja2 v1.13 Multiplayer mod, rev. 11012008 [Re: Dr-D]

redgun
master sgt
I'm pretty sure the crash is not related to that, as it happened also on sectors that are accessible from all four directions.

sector, ping, placement order and specific mercs don't seem to have influence on the crash.
number of mercs, and probably alt-tabbing might have an influence.
#171256 - 16/01/2008 Re: ja2 v1.13 Multiplayer mod, rev. 11012008 [Re: redgun]

haydent
master sgt
im hoping to have something out soon to hopefully address some of the problems, it will e cheap fix but my goal is better ad fairer... are you getting a thing happening where the servers mercs are auto placed after ui lock before he manually does it ???
#171307 - 17/01/2008 ja2 v1.13 Multiplayer mod, rev. 17012008 !! [Re: haydent]

haydent
master sgt
rev. 17012008 --

ok , not alot of changes but some that will hopefully rectify a few of the main issues popping up during testing so far... unfortuanately/fortunately this is just a cheap hack/fix and a pretty raw solution, but ive ended going with it for now as it is quick, it is accurate, and by the process of getting this far i have learnt more that i can use later to upgrade or re-implement systems of synchronisation. ie Dont get upset if it seems ive just patched some problems only to create some more, (which may be the case as ive felt before), the aim is that this is atleast a more evenly playable variant than before.

* there is now a regular update sent out about every 2 seconds by the owner of each merc with stats on location, health and breath, this should help with the related issues.

* when you assign a new destination for your merc, the calculated path is now sent out as well as the destination grid, as to your mercs location. this way all merc replications start their path from the same grid and follow the same path. (though fences "work", they have not been refined)

* There is a grid movement synchronisation system akin to what is known as "lock-step" synchronisation, where no merc can advance further than the current grid with out all the other replications of themselves being ready to do so as well. How i got this to run smoothly and avoid the pause between the time of arrival, sending out such, awaiting all others to do so, recieving the go-ahead and continuing, is by requesting the sector in advance. So it is all happening in the background while traversing a grid, and if all are in sync and ready, the next grid is moved onto seemlesly ("nearly"), depending on ping... smile

* stop commands are now synched further, such that when it is sent out it also contains and thus applies the settings of position and direction so all replications are stopped in the same grid.

* The main Game engine no-longer automatically pauses game play while the Main Game Window is not selected (or backgrounded/minimized). i havent got as far as blocking game pausing altogether, but this will enable you to chat in irc etc. while the game keeps running and updating graphics happily including network traffic. Due to this the implementation of a chat system has been relegated in rank of things to do as irc is an excellent system and the few times ive used it in my experience ive been rather impressed. This too along with the fact that the implementation of a chat system would hinder game play and game display more than using irc itself, thus potentially bringing up further problems. You can quit easily fit a windowed game of ja2 at 1024 along side a resized small window of irc with todays standard 1280 res, but if you ahve an extra monitor your set wink

* I also fixed a problem which im not sure when or if it had come up before, where the servers mercs were being autoplaced apon ui unlock without selecting so.

* Also im now back to distibuting debug exe builds, as after packing it isnt much size difference, and by running a debug exe you get a few more stats on errors and such, and it is further tested, by the community which i owe a big thankyou to for the feedback so far both through the forum thread and the ja2 1.13 jagzilla bugzilla bug tracking site.

* I also disabled a mercs reproduction checking for enough AP's before making moves etc, as this is calculated by the owners game instance and results applied from there.

All these updates should work just and well (and have been slightly tested so) to work with both real-time and turnbased.

Happily all this synchronisation hasnt increased network traffic much at all and it still quite happily trots along at under 1kb/s in idle tactical view.

Please report any problems you have as i rely on this mostly, due to any spare time i have being spent on resting and doing other things than coding, leaving little time for testing than that is necessary to check my changes "work" atleast...

regards,

Hayden.
#171385 - 17/01/2008 Re: ja2 v1.13 Multiplayer mod, rev. 17012008 !! [Re: haydent]

redgun
master sgt
wow, you realy did a lot of work. thanks a lot hayden
I'm looking forward to testing that. please contact me via IRC if someone is interested.
#171403 - 17/01/2008 Re: ja2 v1.13 Multiplayer mod, rev. 17012008 !! [Re: redgun]

sanni
private 1st class
Thank you very much, looks good, tested it alone with my laptop against my PC and sync seemes to work very good. You actually see when it is syncing because sometime a merc "warpes" one tile further then it was before, but that is a good thing. I'm trying to call my friends so we can test it with 3 computers again smile

An other thing I "found out" doing alot of testing yesterday is what I call a "buy script".
It's very usefull for testing because shopping at bobby ray doesn't take all your time.
The programm is called "Autohotkey" and it recordes what buttons were pressed and where your mouse clicked and converts that into an *.exe which can be launched via your configurable mouse or keyboard buttons(Logitech G15 keyboard as example). Now I just have to click one button and it automaticly orderes my stuff from bobby rays. Extremely usefull when you have a laptop and a pc running both ja2 mp but you only have 2 hands wink

Then something about the gameplay. When you kill an enemy you can grab his items and sell it to the locals using alt+lmb in the sector inventory menue. It gives you 10% value in $ back. So you can place new orders at bobby rays. Now it would be a fun idea to increase that percentage by modding the ja_options.ini in the 1.13 Datafolder. But it would be better if this could be handled server only, meaning it gets transfered to the ja_mp.ini under server only settings.
#171475 - 17/01/2008 Re: ja2 v1.13 Multiplayer mod, rev. 17012008 !! [Re: sanni]

RoWa21

captain
@haydent: The sync works fine. You did a great job on this beta release :-)
#171496 - 17/01/2008 Re: ja2 v1.13 Multiplayer mod, rev. 17012008 !! [Re: sanni]

haydent
master sgt
Thank you very much, looks good, tested it alone with my laptop against my PC and sync seemes to work very good. You actually see when it is syncing because sometime a merc "warpes" one tile further then it was before, but that is a good thing. I'm trying to call my friends so we can test it with 3 computers again smile

An other thing I "found out" doing alot of testing yesterday is what I call a "buy script".
It's very usefull for testing because shopping at bobby ray doesn't take all your time.
The programm is called "Autohotkey" and it recordes what buttons were pressed and where your mouse clicked and converts that into an *.exe which can be launched via your configurable mouse or keyboard buttons(Logitech G15 keyboard as example). Now I just have to click one button and it automaticly orderes my stuff from bobby rays. Extremely usefull when you have a laptop and a pc running both ja2 mp but you only have 2 hands wink

Then something about the gameplay. When you kill an enemy you can grab his items and sell it to the locals using alt+lmb in the sector inventory menue. It gives you 10% value in $ back. So you can place new orders at bobby rays. Now it would be a fun idea to increase that percentage by modding the ja_options.ini in the 1.13 Datafolder. But it would be better if this could be handled server only, meaning it gets transfered to the ja_mp.ini under server only settings.

very much so, your the second person to bring this up, and possibley im think i can easily make the server just send out the read results of his ini to all the clients as one "dump", rather than code in each variable as i had to for my ini due to the fact that i was creating them from scratch... will put it on the todo list...

Is anybody having the placement crash anymore ???
#171617 - 18/01/2008 Re: ja2 v1.13 Multiplayer mod, rev. 17012008 !! [Re: haydent]

sanni
private 1st class
-No placement crash at all, works fine

-But client crashes when all his mercs are dead after he automaticly gets into the overworld map screen. The other players can't continue their game because the turn of the crashed client never ends. There have to be an option for the server to end a clients turn.

-Sync works very good but only in tactical.

-In realtime it can sometimes be too slow.
An example: The enemy merc I just shot gets resynced when its his turn and disappeares in my screen.
My duplicate of his merc did run faster on my Pc then on his and therefore was desync in the moment of getting tactical but was resynced later. It should be synced more often.

-Dead sync works so far

-Alt+Tab is not working, when I minimize it with Alt+Tab and then want to play again, I only get a black screen but hear sound.

-Sometimes Items get lost in the sector inventory when you leave one behind and close it.

Played with 3 people on two Laptops + my Pc
#171656 - 18/01/2008 Re: ja2 v1.13 Multiplayer mod, rev. 17012008 !! [Re: sanni]

redgun
master sgt
This is getting very playable.
placement bug is gone.
Desync is nearly perfect.
three major issues left: interrupt sync, death sync, implentation of other game features.

very good work, hayden, this is JA2 @ its best.
#171692 - 19/01/2008 Re: ja2 v1.13 Multiplayer mod, rev. 17012008 !! [Re: sanni]

haydent
master sgt
-No placement crash at all, works fine

-But client crashes when all his mercs are dead after he automaticly gets into the overworld map screen. The other players can't continue their game because the turn of the crashed client never ends. There have to be an option for the server to end a clients turn.

-Sync works very good but only in tactical.

-In realtime it can sometimes be too slow.
An example: The enemy merc I just shot gets resynced when its his turn and disappeares in my screen.
My duplicate of his merc did run faster on my Pc then on his and therefore was desync in the moment of getting tactical but was resynced later. It should be synced more often.

-Dead sync works so far

-Alt+Tab is not working, when I minimize it with Alt+Tab and then want to play again, I only get a black screen but hear sound.

-Sometimes Items get lost in the sector inventory when you leave one behind and close it.

Played with 3 people on two Laptops + my Pc

one thing i just realised is that healing with med packs would kinda work now the health stats are synced... ! maybe ill synced bandaged health levels too to finish this off.

client shouldnt go back to tactical automatically, will look into this, as to a check that if there is no mercs left in a clients team it skips their team turn, though i thought it might have done this automatically, ive never tested with more than 2 clients so there would obviously be ome issues that i havnt comae across which you will find , thanks for helping with this.

as for new features, perhaps if people post lists of most wanted to less, we can vote on them , and organise a list of priority for to be added features.

#171728 - 19/01/2008 Re: ja2 v1.13 Multiplayer mod, rev. 17012008 !! [Re: haydent]

Shooty
private 1st class
Great idea, Haydent!

Here's my wishlist from what I feel would be useful sorted from top to bottom!
I've only included things I think could be done within a realistic timeframe without too much work. I could be dead wrong on some of the ideas though smile

Here goes:

1.) All regular combat elements synced and working like singleplayer. I don't know if this counts as a feature but just to be sure.

2.) I don't know how it works now, but when the game starts all item properties should somehow be temporarily synchronized by the clients reading from the server files, such as prices, weapon ranges and so on. Even mercenary attributes. As 1.13 is made to encourage everyone to customize the game, it is likely this will cause a problem otherwise.

Below are INI modifications:

3.) Use Map, instead of overwriting existing sectors with your own maps, taking backups and all that, have a simple ini line read by the server for it which looks in the maps folder for a map with that name. Use map: testmap.dat

4.) Modify Bobby Ray prices and/or AIM & M.E.R.C. prices with a factor in the ini, like the weapon damages are already handled. This could be a great setting for quickly adjusting the game to be more focused on either equipment or mercenaries.

5.) Enable/Disable bobby ray crates and orders once tactical started.

6.) All M.E.R.C. guys available from day one (should be easy to copy from the main 1.13)

7.) Restrict the leaving of sectors for deathmatch.

8.) Allow only certain bobby ray item types. This way you could play with awesome bobby ray inventory without worrying to get your head busted from a .50 bmg from across the map and without the hassle of editing every item in the xml.
Could be an ini list like this:
Pistols 1
M.pist 1
smg 1
rifle 0
as rifle 0
etc..

9.) No medical deposit needed for AIM guys (they are probably going to get hurt here)

10.) Hide or show hirings made by the other players.

#171802 - 19/01/2008 Re: ja2 v1.13 Multiplayer mod, rev. 17012008 !! [Re: Shooty]

RoWa21

captain
Originally Posted By: Shooty
Great idea, Haydent!

Here's my wishlist from what I feel would be useful sorted from top to bottom!
I've only included things I think could be done within a realistic timeframe without too much work. I could be dead wrong on some of the ideas though smile

Here goes:

1.) All regular combat elements synced and working like singleplayer. I don't know if this counts as a feature but just to be sure.

2.) I don't know how it works now, but when the game starts all item properties should somehow be temporarily synchronized by the clients reading from the server files, such as prices, weapon ranges and so on. Even mercenary attributes. As 1.13 is made to encourage everyone to customize the game, it is likely this will cause a problem otherwise.

I agree with you with 1. and 2. These should be on the top of the list.

What about savegame synchronisation. Should the savegame be stored on every client or only on the server? If it is only stored on the server a lot of data must be transfered to each client. Savegames can take up a few MBs. This would be the nicer way, but this leeds to too much internet traffic.

So I think the savegame should be stored on each client. To keep savegame synchronisation, whenever a client likes to save the game, all other clients should be informed also saving the game. Or only the server can say when saving and loading games. But synchronisation must be kept in any way.

Feel free to discuss this topic.

#171856 - 19/01/2008 Re: ja2 v1.13 Multiplayer mod, rev. 17012008 !! [Re: RoWa21]

Zarax
master sgt
Loc: Italy
A simple way would be to have the games saved on client but with the server keeping the savegame hash key which shouldn't be too hard to generate.
This way it can be guaranteed that it will be the same savegame plus it will make cheating much harder...
#171901 - 19/01/2008 Re: ja2 v1.13 Multiplayer mod, rev. 17012008 !! [Re: Zarax]

haydent
master sgt
hi,

firstly ive just uploaded a prerelease exe into a directory of the same name under the current pre-beta downlaod directory. here i will upload small changes for testers and keen enthusiasts between releases. currently the changes are:

* Interrrupt syncronisation of interupted merc's location apon being interrupted

* Kicking/Removal of a Clients team of Mercs, bound to 'Alt+K' (this doesn't disconnect the client, allowing them to spectate)

as for the suggestions theres some good ones in there ! i particularly like the map ini suggestion.

i will look into most of these, but i have one comment to make on shooty's 1st suggestion, its too broad. i dont see the whole of that being implemented by me with this current development, maybe if i started again, or gave it a total overhall, maybe. but thats not happening in the immediate future... i was thinking in regards to this category i might be able to implement a couple of features, if possible and not too hard, for example: grenades, or explosives, or med packs, or roof climbing, or building damage, or, or , or etc , etc. no and or xor ... wink

http://ja2.h758491.serverkompetenz.net/Multiplayer-haydent/pre-beta/prerelease/

im not sure how many of you are members of the jagzilla site, but it has a feature to enable voting on bugs and suggestions, perhaps we can keep a running list through that site or another thread or just track it in this one..

peace.
#171902 - 19/01/2008 Re: ja2 v1.13 Multiplayer mod, rev. 17012008 !! [Re: Zarax]

ORFJackal
private 1st class
Loc: Finland
Originally Posted By: Zarax
This way it can be guaranteed that it will be the same savegame plus it will make cheating much harder...

That won't prevent cheating, because it is possible to have a modified client.

The only way to prevent cheating is that the client only tells the server which actions the user does (e.g. try to shoot enemy X in position Y in the head) and the server does all calculations and decides the action's outcome (e.g. check that the user has a gun equipped, does it have ammo, how powerful the gun is, will the shot hit/miss or will the gun get jammed, how many points the enemy loses). Then the server broadcasts the outcome to all the clients and they display it to the user. The clients should not even know where are those enemies who are not in the player's line of sight.

When I was looking at JA2's sources last summer, I noticed some remains of the original networking code (some non-existant methods which are used in the code: IsTheSolderUnderMyControl, DisplayMultiPlayerInfo, DisplayDirectPlayInfo, DisplayDirectPlayPlayerInfo, SetDisplayFlag, SendEventToNetwork) and it looked like the game has a event-driven system for game actions. IMO, this event system is the place where networking should be hooked into. (See "Utils/Event Pump.cpp" - there are functions such as ExecuteGameEvent, AddGameEvent, AddGameEventFromNetwork. Also see files "Strategic/Game Clock.cpp" and "Strategic/Game Events.cpp", specifically what the AdvanceClock and ProcessPendingGameEvents functions do.)

I don't know how you've implemented the current multiplayer mode (and I don't have the time to read the source), so could you tell in brief your approach into the networking architecture?

What comes to the save games, it might be possible that only the server has the save game file. There is lots of data in the save file which is not always needed (e.g. the locations of every item on sectors where the player is not currently). The server needs to send the clients only data related to the current sector (or even better, only what the client is able to see on the sector) and the data which can be viewed at any time (e.g. the items and stats of the player's team, and whatever is shown on strategic screen overview). If the networking is implemented properly, then the clients need to maintain only a very limited game state, and there won't be a need for them to have the whole save files (which contain all game state).
#171911 - 20/01/2008 Re: ja2 v1.13 Multiplayer mod, prerelease [Re: ORFJackal]

haydent
master sgt
well i just had my first game over the internet with this and it worked great, it was against redgun in austria, and i just on dialup in country australia... heres a screen of the data transfer, as you can see not much at all, my connection handled it easily which is great as finally i can play a decent game online.

it ended up in a crash though, a problem bought on by a bleeding death of my merc magic, causing the notification script to try and make a call no an attacker not their leading to crash. luckily im running the game ni debug mode through visual studio so i can see exactly what line of code it crashed on, and im going to fix this asap, until then there is intermediate fix that disables reporting of deaths but still syncs them in the prerelease folder...

oh, and my ping for red was:

1790 / 2500 / 1191 / 537 ms

Edited by haydent (20/01/2008)
#171918 - 20/01/2008 Re: ja2 v1.13 Multiplayer mod, prerelease [Re: haydent]

haydent
master sgt
just had another excellent game with red and one ! in process found out and fixed another bug causing crash when attempting to try and apply death animation to already dead soldier... check the prerelease folder for this version c, should be there by the time you read this...
#171921 - 20/01/2008 Re: ja2 v1.13 Multiplayer mod, prerelease [Re: haydent]

sanni
private 1st class
Cheating:
---------
I don't think we need to waste any time to prevent cheating, because even on the safest system there always will be hacks.
So all time spend to prevent it will be for nothing.
The best and only protection against cheating is to play with peoples you know.
And if you want you can always record your games with fraps to show that you are not cheating if anyone questions your honesty.

New features:
-------------
My thoughts about new features beside bugfixing (bugfixing stands above all, I rather play only with guns then have an unstable game with all features enabled):

The Basics:
----------
Top priority would be that medkits and canteens are working(maybe canteens do already, didn't test).

I personally don't need rooftop syncing, that was kinda lame and to easy in the singleplayer and so it will be in the multiplayer. Damn snipers ;P
Best thing would be to completely disable that you can climb on rooftops, like in the new inventory mod does when you have a backpack equiped.

Next thing would be syncing of mortars, explosives and building damage. If a sniper hides in a house then just blow it away with your mortar. Mortars are a lots of fun widegrin
Smoke grenades would be cool to. Or if your the sniper then burry some mines at the doorways to secure your rear. I can only imaging that this will be a big amount of work.

Then you should be able to easily play at night time by pressing a button like you do to enable the laptop.

Thats all the basics I want, now lets continue to gameplay changes.

Gameplay:
---------

Deathmatch is good enough, this is what Jagged Alliance is all about. Or did you ever do something different in the Singleplayer? So I (personally again) don't need new gamemodes like CTF, if I want CTF I play Halo, if I want to rescue hostages I play CSS.

But there should be something like "rounds" in deathmatch. And after a selected amount of rounds played, the one with the most kills wins as an option to the last man standing mode we currently have.

I don't think we need respawning.

Then there should be the possibility of creating and sharing presets. Like pistols only in the hospital. Just load the preset and then will the sector, the starting amount of money, the daytime and the available weapons and other settings be set.

I can't wait to hear your top priorities smile

So lets all submit and then create a common top 10 smile
#171928 - 20/01/2008 Re: ja2 v1.13 Multiplayer mod, prerelease [Re: sanni]

redgun
master sgt
Cheating:
---------
I don't think we need to waste any time to prevent cheating, because even on the safest system there always will be hacks.
So all time spend to prevent it will be for nothing.
The best and only protection against cheating is to play with peoples you know.
And if you want you can always record your games with fraps to show that you are not cheating if anyone questions your honesty.
recording won't proof anything.i think that relying on the honesty of opponent is a good thing. plus most people in this ommunity will known JA2 very well and will detect cheats rather fast, unless they are done low-level. Right now there are millions of exploits, but there's also about 5 people playing and most of us are playing in order to test and help, so cheating is not an issue yet.
Quote:
New features:
-------------
My thoughts about new features beside bugfixing (bugfixing stands above all, I rather play only with guns then have an unstable game with all features enabled):
agreed. especially in MP where loading is not an option.
Quote:
The Basics:
----------
Top priority would be that medkits and canteens are working(maybe canteens do already, didn't test).
afaik, they work. hayden had a very good idea about it, let's see when he implements it.
Quote:
I personally don't need rooftop syncing, that was kinda lame and to easy in the singleplayer and so it will be in the multiplayer. Damn snipers ;P
Best thing would be to completely disable that you can climb on rooftops, like in the new inventory mod does when you have a backpack equiped.
camping on a rooftop in MP will most likely get you killed, since there is no cover on rooftops. there is no way to test that, but i'm very sure about it. being in a place without cover won't work well in MP.
Quote:
Next thing would be syncing of mortars, explosives and building damage. If a sniper hides in a house then just blow it away with your mortar. Mortars are a lots of fun widegrin
Smoke grenades would be cool to. Or if your the sniper then burry some mines at the doorways to secure your rear. I can only imaging that this will be a big amount of work.
explosive damage to people should be synced as of now, but i'm nopt sure about it. we have to try that sometimes. syncronising map features, such as doors and destruction of structures will be a hard task to complete i guess.
Quote:
Then you should be able to easily play at night time by pressing a button like you do to enable the laptop. Thats all the basics I want, now lets continue to gameplay changes.
MP is not going to benefit from night-combat. night is a good SP feature, but i guess it will be rather frustrating in MP. Ever wondered why there are so few night-maps for MP games?
Quote:
Gameplay:
---------
Deathmatch is good enough, this is what Jagged Alliance is all about. Or did you ever do something different in the Singleplayer? So I (personally again) don't need new gamemodes like CTF, if I want CTF I play Halo, if I want to rescue hostages I play CSS.
But there should be something like "rounds" in deathmatch. And after a selected amount of rounds played, the one with the most kills wins as an option to the last man standing mode we currently have.
Sooner or later this Mod is definitely going CTF, hostage rescue, descrution or simply zone domination (king of the hill).
Quote:
I don't think we need respawning.
Then there should be the possibility of creating and sharing presets. Like pistols only in the hospital. Just load the preset and then will the sector, the starting amount of money, the daytime and the available weapons and other settings be set.
I can't wait to hear your top priorities smile
respawn could be useful in some fast-paced mace-like levels.
presets might be a nice feature but right now it takes about 10 seconds to select the map and one line on irc, to agree on weapons limitations.
Quote:
So lets all submit and then create a common top 10 smile
this is a very good idea. any creative inout or suggestions can be good inspiration. in the end its hayden's turn to decide.

as haydent posted earlier, we had a realy good game tonight. very exiting till the end. gameplay is already very good now, there are a few opticial issues concerning the sync and it took some time because of high pings (long sync phases) but it did work and it was a lot of fun. It was 'the way it's meant to be played' widegrin widegrin
#171930 - 20/01/2008 Re: ja2 v1.13 Multiplayer mod, prerelease [Re: redgun]

Kaerar
Drifter
Brigadier General
Loc: Australia :D
I think (especially if big maps happen) that objective based scenarios like CoD4 should be included. Like Search and Destroy and Domination styles. For example you have a SAM site one side defends and the other side attacks smile

Team Death Match is a must too. Remember its squad based combat smile

I was thinking. Is this mod compatible? If it is then I have some very interesting ideas for a multiplayer compatible mod widegrin
Page 5 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 >

Moderator:  Kaiden, lockie, Marlboro Man, RoWa21 

Forum Stats
11467 Members
88 Forums
7555 Topics
136806 Posts

Max Online: 345 @ 01/05/2012
Copyright 2000-2013 Bear's Pit