Mods Repo Gear Shop JAGalaxy.com FB Page IRC Channel

Who's Online
4 registered (Shanga, DepressivesBrot, anv, 1 invisible), 23 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#56723 - 13/08/2006 Instructions for using SVN *****

Marlboro Man

Major General
Loc: USA
Installing 1.13 and SVN instructions

1) Download SVN from tortoise here. http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/

2} Install tortoise after you download it.

3) Install Jagged Alliance 2 ( preferably 1.12 gold edition), it still will work with older versions, but "NOT" work with Wildfire.

4} Create a blank folder on your desktop. And name it anything you wish, the name dosen't matter to SVN.
4a) Word of caution! Always download to a new empty folder, then copy the files to your game directory. There seems to be a problem of missing files happening if you download directly into your JA2 install.

5} Right click the new folder you just created. A menu will popup. At the top of this menu you will see "SVN CHECKOUT" and just below that "TORTOISE SVN". You want to click on "SVN CHECKOUT". That will bring up the URL request. Type this in. "https://ja2svn.dyndns.org/source/ja2_v1.13_data/GameDir". Now it will ask you for a username nad password. "Username will be "TestUser" note the capital letters. "Password is testreadonly" then check the little box in the corner. Now your 1.13 should be downloading into the folder you created. It will take a while to download, it is approxmately 300 megabytes now.

6) Now that your finished downloading from the SVN it is time to add those files into your Jagged 2 folder. First open your JA2 directory. Probably be C: program files/jagged alliance 2 gold. Open that folder up. Now squeeze the size of it down a little to make room for you to now open the folder you just downloaded the 1.13 files from SVN. Open that folder up and put both folders side by side so you can view the contents of both folders fairly easily.

7) Ok, now "MOVE" or drag and drop each inividual file and or folder from the SVN folder you downloaded the files to into the JA2 folder. Let them overwrite everytime it asks you. Just say "YES" or "ALL" to overwrite the older files from the original JA2. The first one you move should be the one called "svn" move that 1st. Then move the other single files. Now move the folder called "DATA" this will take a few minutes because it is fairly big, and just say "ALL" when it stops and asks you if you want to overwrite. Now move the folder called "1.13 DATA", and do the same thing with your overwrite stops. "ALL" to everything.

8) Now that you have "MOVED" all those files and folders from the folder you created for the SVN download, the folder should now be totally empty. You now have the option of dowloading the 1.13 again if you want a backup and want to keep that up to date with your JA2 folder. You only need to do this if you need to reinstall the game again. It just saves you from having to download it again.

9) Ok. Close both folders up. Now your back to the desktop. Now you want to see if there is any "UPDATES" available from the SVN. Open your JA2 directory again. Probably this time it will be "My computer, local disk C:, Program files, and then Jagged Alliance 2 Gold. "DON"T"open Jagged Alliance 2 Gold, instead "RIGHT CLICK" the folder. You will again see a menu popup. At the top you will see "SVN UPDATE" then "SVN COMMIT..." and "TORTOISE SVN". You want to choose "SVN UPDATE". It will now go to the URL that you put in at the begginning and automatically check for any updates that the modders have updated. They will download automatically into the appropriate places in your game, you don't have to do anything else there automatically updated. After they update it will give you the latest revision number. You can then view the log or say ok and close the process. That's all there is to it for the updating part. If you want to view only what is available before you update, "RIGHT CLICK" again and go to this time "TORTOISE SVN" there is right arrow there let it open and another bigger menu pops up. Click "VIEW LOG" and you can view all the files that are at the URL without updating.

10) One last thing. It is a good idea to backup your latest .EXE. To do this just "RIGHT CLICK" the exe called Ja2. "NOT" the one called "Ja2debug" that one is only used for testing the game for bugs. You should never need to use this. Now right click Ja2 and say "COPY", now go to your desktop and right click again and say "PASTE". Now you have a copy sitting there. Right click it and say "RENAME" and I usually reanme it to what the current exe is so if it your running JA2 429.exe then thats what you call it. After you rename it, drag and drop it back into your JA2 folder. What I do now is right click it once again and say "SEND TO" "desktop(create shortcut). Now you have that shortcut on your desktop and you can run the game from there without having to open JA2 folder to run the game.

That's about all there is to it. Refer to other forum posts for more info.

Edit: that there is no JA2.exe coming with the SVN repository

Good Luck smile

Edited by Marlboro Man (04/12/2011)
#56724 - 13/08/2006 Re: Instructions for using SVN

Shoe
private 1st class
Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Ok MM, I'll give it one more try. I think I've already done what you have written. The only difference I can see is that tortoise has never asked me for a password. So I'm going to make sure I have the right Tortoise and go from there. Thank you for your pataince with me.
#56725 - 13/08/2006 Re: Instructions for using SVN

Shoe
private 1st class
Loc: Columbus, Ohio
ok, I noticed that The File it downloads to me is only 239megs, not 300. not sure if I'm getting the entire file
#56726 - 13/08/2006 Re: Instructions for using SVN

Marlboro Man

Major General
@ shoe

That was just a guesstimat on my part. I couldn't remember how big the download was. But I thought it was bigger than 239.

EDIT: Ok I just downloaded everything for my self.

At revision 340 I downloaded 257.65 meg.

When your downloading try not to do to much else. It dosen't take much to upset the download. When it is finished it will say "completed" and give the revision number.

smile
#56727 - 13/08/2006 Re: Instructions for using SVN

NonWonderDog
private 1st class
And if it never asks for a username and password, like in my case, that's completely OK. The server is set up to take a blank username and password.
#56728 - 14/08/2006 Re: Instructions for using SVN

bkp57
corporal
Loc: Washington, PA, USA
here's my method... it sounds a bit different from what Marlboro Man describes... I want someone to tell me if I am doing something wrong?

I did steps 1 through 5 above. But, here is where I do something different.

I right-click the downloaded content folder -> SVN Update. After the updates are done, I right-click the folder again -> TortoiseSVN -> Export.. and export the whole content folder to another temporary folder.

Once it is exported, I simply cut-and-paste the whole thing into my JA2 folder, overwriting all files.

Is this the wrong way to do it? I had heard that TortoiseSVN doesn't like to copy and paste, so I came up with this. I've had no game problems, so I assume that I am doing something right... the only thing I have to do is check my JA2_options.ini and edit a couple of parameters because my game crashes with reinforcements enabled...

All input is welcome, please!

bkp57
#56729 - 14/08/2006 Re: Instructions for using SVN

NonWonderDog
private 1st class
You don't need to export, and I believe that all "Export" does is download everything without the version information.

I'm probably wrong, since I've never used it, but I thought "Export" was used when you wanted a static copy with nothing but the program files. Since it doesn't contain the version information, you won't be able to update it directly.
#56730 - 14/08/2006 Re: Instructions for using SVN

Biernath_J
first sergeant
Loc: Poland
I don't care about automatic updates and copy&paste galore.
I set my ja2 folder as svn checkout. Then I launch the repo-browser, sort by date and export/save as the newest files I see. That's all.
#56731 - 14/08/2006 Re: Instructions for using SVN

jA4EVER
Corporal 1st class
Loc: VA
@Marlboro Man

That's the guide of all guides. Works really nice with ME. All, just follow the instructions, should be fine with everybody.

smile
#56732 - 16/08/2006 Re: Instructions for using SVN

smoke_023
Civilian
Loc: Manila
Im having problems with updating the JA Gold Folder. It says that the working copy of JA2.exe is locked, or something like that. Can anybody help me out on this? thnx.. smile
#56733 - 16/08/2006 Re: Instructions for using SVN

Snakus
Corporal 1st class
Loc: Finland
Follow MM's instructions step by step and you should be fine.
#56734 - 16/08/2006 Re: Instructions for using SVN

ChristmasApe
corporal
Loc: Victoria, B.C.
So, this is definately the way to get the most up-to-date version? I ask only because SVN tells me I have revision 374, while the most recent post in the Release Notes thread (http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=20;t=000066) seems to say the current revision is 444, and the game says it's build 439.

I've been playing with this mod for a couple weeks and just did a reformat, and I've always found I come away from any set of updating instructions going "Well, I'm pretty sure it's done". A definate yes or no would go a long way to me starting up a game. Or possibly starting some personal modifications of my own.

Bitch hasn't got a chance.
#56735 - 16/08/2006 Re: Instructions for using SVN

ShadoWarrior
Sergeant Major
Loc: Twilight Zone
You are confusing the build number of the .exe (444) with the revision number of the SVN update (374).
#56736 - 16/08/2006 Re: Instructions for using SVN

ChristmasApe
corporal
That's entirely possible; what I'm not clear on is if this misunderstanding matters at all, or if I'm just comparing too many unrelated numbers and it's ready to go.

#56737 - 16/08/2006 Re: Instructions for using SVN

Marlboro Man

Major General
SVN revision 374 is the revision for SVN, or something like that. 444 is the EXE revision.

Anyway your up to date. And all is ok.

Maybe someone else can explain it better.

smile
#56738 - 16/08/2006 Re: Instructions for using SVN

ChristmasApe
corporal
Alright then. As long as the build number the game tells me while loading doesn't mean I'm behind, and I've got all these sexy flechette shotgun rounds and new .50s available. widegrin

#56739 - 16/08/2006 Re: Instructions for using SVN

ShadoWarrior
Sergeant Major
If you have SVN revision 374 you have all the latest files -- including the latest .exe (444).

When an update to one or more files is checked into SVN, the SVN revision number is updated. When a new compilation of the executable is made, it's given a build number (which has nothing whatsoever to do with the SVN revision number). As an example, revision 374 changed one file (Explosives.xml), while some revisions update several files. Revision 371 was the update that included the latest .exe (444).

I sure hope that's clear enough because I doubt I can make it any clearer.
#56740 - 16/08/2006 Re: Instructions for using SVN

Marlboro Man

Major General
It's clear to me. smile I just couldn't spit it out. I am having brain lockups today. To many boring ours of work. smile
#56741 - 16/08/2006 Re: Instructions for using SVN

ChristmasApe
corporal
Ah-hah! I have it now.

Thanks to everybody involved. Now to go read the XML editting tutorials and fiddle with some things...

#56742 - 16/08/2006 Re: Instructions for using SVN

Toast
Corporal 1st class
Quote:
The first one you move should be the one called "svn" move that 1st. Then move the other single files.
I don't see an actual file or folder called SVN in my download folder.
#56743 - 16/08/2006 Re: Instructions for using SVN

Snakus
Corporal 1st class
Loc: Finland
Quote:
Originally posted by Toast:
Quote:
The first one you move should be the one called "svn" move that 1st. Then move the other single files.
I don't see an actual file or folder called SVN in my download folder.
You have to display the hidden files too.
#56744 - 17/08/2006 Re: Instructions for using SVN

Toast
Corporal 1st class
thanks! I'm actually a bit embarassed that I didn't think of that myself...
#56745 - 18/08/2006 Re: Instructions for using SVN

LazyPete
sergeant
Loc: Tallinn, Estonia
Uuuuuuuh, does this program require opening any ports? Dang, it's downloading so slowly.

Isn't it possible to have TortoiseSVN just overwrite the initial files of my 11.3-modded JA2 install off the bat, so I don't have to download all the files by Tortoise? Right now when I try to SVN Update, it say's there's already a file named fmod.dll. Can't I have it overwrite it at once?
#56746 - 18/08/2006 Re: Instructions for using SVN

Scooly
sergeant
Loc: Lublin - Poland
My polish version using TortoiseSVN for update v1.13:
http://jaggedalliance.pl/forum/topics19/jak-byc-na-biezaco-z-v113-vt1359.htm
#56747 - 19/08/2006 Re: Instructions for using SVN

NonWonderDog
private 1st class
Unfortunately, you must check out every file with a SVN client before you can use automatic updates. Otherwise, there is no way for the program to know what version your files are, or if you've modified them.

In addition, TortoiseSVN is designed to NEVER overwrite unversioned files with versioned ones, and there is no option to do so.

The only way to set up a SVN working copy is to check out everything to a temp folder and copy it over your JA2 folder.
#56748 - 24/08/2006 Re: Instructions for using SVN

abradley
first sergeant
Can I install JA2 Urban Combat on my system or will this interfer with SVN and JA2 113?
#56749 - 25/08/2006 Re: Instructions for using SVN

Marlboro Man

Major General
Since that is a seperate mod, you will need a seperate install of JA2. Like on another harddrive if you have another available.

smile
#56750 - 26/08/2006 Re: Instructions for using SVN

jA4EVER
Corporal 1st class
Loc: VA
@Marlboro Man

Wow! Does that whit the 2nd HDD works?

Sry for the offtopic.

smile
#56751 - 26/08/2006 Re: Instructions for using SVN

Marlboro Man

Major General
Yes it does. Just install everything on your other harddrive. E:, F: or whatever. I have 2 versions of JA2 running myself.

smile
#56752 - 26/08/2006 Re: Instructions for using SVN

Doomhunk
sergeant
Loc: england
I have just done the impossible thanks to your help Marlboro Man and installed (i think correctly!)SVN thanks to your help.

Thats one of the reasons i think JA has done so well as a game due to the community of people such as yourself (muggsy,kaiden etxc..) willing to help others.
#56753 - 27/08/2006 Re: Instructions for using SVN

Marlboro Man

Major General
Your very welcome. I just try and help anyway I can. Mugsy and the other dudes are the ones that keep things running smoothly and up to speed.

smile
#56754 - 27/08/2006 Re: Instructions for using SVN

SharkD
first sergeant
In the past I've heard that the versioning information SVN uses to keep track of files can be distributed with the releases so that new users don't have to download the entire SVN hierarchy when they want to update. Am I correct?
#56755 - 27/08/2006 Re: Instructions for using SVN

ShadoWarrior
Sergeant Major
The SVN directories are normally hidden on a user's machine. But I don't see any technical reason why they couldn't be included in a distribution. Whether it's desirable to do so is another matter. Bear in mind that the majority of new users have no idea what SVN is and the inclusion of all the SVN files might confuse them, even if there's a README file explaining everything. People are notorious about not reading README files.
#56756 - 27/08/2006 Re: Instructions for using SVN

Marlboro Man

Major General
I am not exactly sure I am following what your asking. Do you mean the big "releases" like the one back in July? And then updating using Laliens .EXEs ? Laliens .EXE stopped at 407. So your wanting to know if SVN will just pick up from that point? And only update from there up. To be honest I really dont know. I have never actually tried it that way. Seems logical that it "might". Somebody more in the know could probably help you better than I can. Lalien or Mugsy will surely know.

All I can say is try it and see.

smile
#56757 - 27/08/2006 Re: Instructions for using SVN

ShadoWarrior
Sergeant Major
@MM: I think Mikail is asking that the "big" release packages include all the SVN info so that any new user who installs the big package, and then installs SVN, doesn't have to download the entire repository the first time they use SVN, only any files that have changed since the big package was released.
#56758 - 27/08/2006 Re: Instructions for using SVN

Marlboro Man

Major General
Thats actually a good question. I suppose if you know where the big release files stop, and where the SVN files should pickup from, then you would only need to download from SVN to that point. I really don't think SVN will see this on it's own and will download the full repository reguardless, unless you specify a starting and stopping point. You would still need to download 1st time dumps into it's own folder. And move them into your game. Since SVN will not be associated with your game until after you move the files to it.

By the time you go to all that trouble trying to figure out what files you will need, the download would probably be already completed.

Another thing I don't think the big releases have included the SVN info. How could it? I have read that some other people don't even use tortoise, there using another type of downloader.

I'll stop now I think I am making it more complicated than it really is.

smile
#56759 - 28/08/2006 Re: Instructions for using SVN

flybyu
master sgt
Loc: Indiana U.S.A
OK I just followed your steps and it is D/L the updates now but it didn't ask for a password or anything else it just started D/L.
Guts, Tenacity, Steadfastness, Courage, and an Indomitable will to Succeed, and Survive.
#56760 - 28/08/2006 Re: Instructions for using SVN

Marlboro Man

Major General
That whole password thing is squirrely has hell. Some people use nothing and others use only username. I was just going by how it worked for me in the instructions. But if you are downloading then thats a good thing.

smile
#56761 - 24/09/2006 Re: Instructions for using SVN

Longshot
master sgt
Loc: Jefferson City, Mo.
Hi, I've been away for a long time, how do I download 1.13 if I just want to play it in it's current state? Do I still need this SVN thing? I also tried using the links in...I believe...Madd Mugsy's sig line, but the links were broken.

So again...How do I download this so I can actually play it?
#56762 - 24/09/2006 Re: Instructions for using SVN

ShadoWarrior
Sergeant Major
Please define what you mean by "it's current state".

There was a packaged release on Sept. 01, available on the Wiki site. But there have been many changes since then. If you want those newer changes you'll need SVN to get them, unless you wait for the next packaged release.
#56763 - 25/09/2006 Re: Instructions for using SVN

Longshot
master sgt
The current version?
#56764 - 25/09/2006 Re: Instructions for using SVN

Marlboro Man

Major General
You can download the latest 502 build here.

http://files.moddb.com/4065/download-full-version-502-september-2006/

Here is the wiki site for alot of 1.13 info.

http://ja2v113.schtuff.com/

SVN is the way to go though. And you can keep it up to date as bug fixes and additions are added to the game. Just follow these instructions at the top of this page.

smile
#56765 - 25/09/2006 Re: Instructions for using SVN

ShadoWarrior
Sergeant Major
Longshot, "current" is a vague question. The "current" version on the Wiki (the links that Marlboro just gave you) is 502. The "current" version on SVN is 555. Which "current" are you referring to?
#56766 - 25/09/2006 Re: Instructions for using SVN

Longshot
master sgt
Quote:
Current is a vague question
It is?...

Anyway, I think I meant 555, but as I now have been playing 502, I'm relativley happy though I notice a couple bugs...Ah well, at least I finally go this.
#56767 - 25/09/2006 Re: Instructions for using SVN

Kaiden

Sergeant Major
@Longshot, you're not alone playing the official releases. I know RoWa21 wants to release one monthly, so you won't have to wait long for bugfixes and new features. Even better, 502 was released on September 2nd, which means the next release could only be a few weeks out.

EDIT: Also, the confusion was over SVN releases, which are more development builds still in testing versus Official Release builds which are packaged with installers and released for download without having to have access to the SVN.

502 is the official latest release build. 555 is the latest SVN development release.
NOT True is the new False.
#56768 - 25/09/2006 Re: Instructions for using SVN

Longshot
master sgt
Ahhhh...ok, now I see what he meant by confusing. My original question then, should have been, "DO I have to download this SVN thing to play the latest official release?" To which the answer, I presume, would have been "No, version 502 was released on September 02, with a newer release in the works hopefully within a few weeks".

BTW- have the bugs with the multiple IMPS been worked out already?
#56769 - 25/09/2006 Re: Instructions for using SVN

ShadoWarrior
Sergeant Major
Quote:
Originally posted by Longshot:
BTW- have the bugs with the multiple IMPS been worked out already?
Not fully. Please go look at the thread in the BUG forum where that bug is being discussed, rather than ask about it in this thread where it's way off-topic. thx
#56770 - 26/09/2006 Re: Instructions for using SVN

Longshot
master sgt
Quote:
Please go look at the thread in the BUG forum where that bug is being discussed, rather than ask about it in this thread where it's way off-topic. thx
Jeez...what is everyone so touchy for? I looked in the bug thread first, but didn't see anything relating to what I'm talking about.

Anyway, The reason I asked was to determine whether or not I should try the svn thingy or just stick with the official builds, not to...critisize anyone. So it wasn't as off-topic as you thought. I guess...
#56771 - 26/09/2006 Re: Instructions for using SVN

Marlboro Man

Major General
@ Longshot

Yes. The multiple IMPs is working great now. Roman just stomped the last bug problem today. smile

And yes if you want to stay up to date and get all the new stuff early I would go the SVN route. It is a very good system and fairly easy to use once you get the hang of it.

If you use SVN you join the ranks of bug testers too. Which is a good thing too. smile
#56772 - 27/09/2006 Re: Instructions for using SVN

Longshot
master sgt
Thank You, MM. I appreciate the info, when I get time I'll consult this thread further to see about getting it working.
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >

Forum Stats
11353 Members
88 Forums
7408 Topics
134802 Posts

Max Online: 345 @ 01/05/2012
Copyright 2000-2013 Bear's Pit