BP Mods Showcase BP Gear Shop JAGalaxy.com BP Facebook Page Bear's Pit IRC

Who's Online
1 registered (Gorro der Grüne), 22 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#317316 - 11/04/2013 Full Control announces Jagged Alliance licensing agreement with BitComposer Games

JMich
Fighting the XML Editor
first sergeant
Loc: Greece
Interview on Rock Paper Shotgun

Announcement

Quote:

Copenhagen, Denmark - April 11th - Danish indie studio Full Control today announced that it has signed a licensing agreement with bitComposer Games to develop and publish a new undisclosed multiplatform title in the Jagged Alliance franchise.

“Jagged Alliance fits perfectly into our company strategy and portfolio as the game to do after we ship Space Hulk. It is one of the 3 games besides X-Com and Fallout that really defined the entire genre and is part of our DNA”, said Thomas Hentschel Lund, CEO of Full Control. “We are honored and excited to have been the confidence given by bitComposer to give the series a fresh new take whilst staying true to the core mechanics.”

“We have been keeping an eye on Full Control for the last couple of years and have been suitably impressed with their take on turn-based tactical gaming and in particular their awesome work in bringing the classic Space Hulk franchise back to life”, said Wolfgang Duhr, Board of Directors of bitComposer Games, “We are excited to learn more about their plans for the franchise”.

History of the Jagged Alliance Franchise:
Jagged Alliance was first released in 1994 and is still counted as one the best turn based strategy games of its time. After the release of Jagged Alliance 2 in 1999 the series slipped back into the cold war and received a reboot in 2010 with Jagged Alliance – Back in Action, which received mixed reactions from the community and press after its departure from turn-based action gameplay.

Who is Full Control? The company currently making the new Space Hulk game, and so far it looks good. Let's hope this JA will be a worthy addition to the series.

Edited by Shanga (23/04/2013)
#317317 - 11/04/2013 New Jagged Alliance Game comming

Voyevoda
sergeant
Loc: Germany, Darmstadt
Just red it.

Full Controll (http://www.fullcontrol.dk/) bought the license to release one Jagged Alliance game.
And it will be turnbased. At least a new hope.

“Jagged Alliance fits perfectly into our company strategy and portfolio as the game to do after we ship Space Hulk. It is one of the 3 games besides X-Com and Fallout that really defined the entire genre and is part of our DNA. We are honored and excited to have been the confidence given by bitComposer to give the series a fresh new take whilst staying true to the core mechanics.”

#317318 - 11/04/2013 Re: Full Control announces Jagged Alliance licensing agreement with BitComposer Games [Re: JMich]

Yaguar
Corporal 1st class
Loc: DE
looks like good news for me
#317321 - 11/04/2013 Re: Full Control announces Jagged Alliance licensing agreement with BitComposer Games [Re: JMich]

Hazapuza
master sgt
Loc: Finland
Quote:
multiplatform

Judging from their earlier products, iOS devices in addition to PC (and Mac), which IMHO pretty much kills any hope of a "proper" sequel, at least one that could offer something to the 1.13 community.
#317322 - 11/04/2013 Re: New Jagged Alliance Game comming [Re: Voyevoda]

dethica
corporal
#317327 - 11/04/2013 Re: Full Control announces Jagged Alliance licensing agreement with BitComposer Games [Re: JMich]

Shadow21
first sergeant
Loc: on route to San Hermanos
yeah im not to hyped on that thing either. its gonna be some time till we hear anything substantial until then i remain sceptical.
#317328 - 11/04/2013 Re: Full Control announces Jagged Alliance licensing agreement with BitComposer Games [Re: JMich]

Thor
Sergeant Major
Loc: Belgium
If it's anything like the Spacehulk video, I'll keep my focus on Ja2 V1.13... Guess I'm not too thrilled with the new "fancy" game looks...
#317336 - 11/04/2013 Re: Full Control announces Jagged Alliance licensing agreement with BitComposer Games [Re: JMich]

Sam_Hotte
lt
Loc: Middle of Germany
They have just signed a contract today that they were allowed to develop something and call it JA-whatever.
IMHO quite early to condemn look and feel that do not exist yet ... wink
SharkD's hotkeys
#317345 - 11/04/2013 Re: New Jagged Alliance Game comming [Re: Voyevoda]

Sgt_Rock
Corporal 1st class
Loc: NL
One of their games is Frontline Tactics.

Quote:
A modern take on the Tactical Turn-Based genre with cross-platform multiplayer over PC, Mac and Mobile iOS Devices! 2025 - A small splinter military group led by mad man; Akhali Muhamar threatens to take over the oil-rich nation of Fahrahn. The country is a large oil supplier to the Western world and national interests are threatened.

Available on Steam and Free 2 Play: http://store.steampowered.com/app/218310

If the new JA is going to be crossplatform I'm a bit fearfull for the end result.
#317353 - 12/04/2013 Re: New Jagged Alliance Game comming [Re: Voyevoda]

Sam_Hotte
lt
This looks as if they might just paint "Jagged Alliance - Back in Action: Back in Turnbased" on this ... argue
SharkD's hotkeys
#317354 - 12/04/2013 Re: New Jagged Alliance Game comming [Re: Voyevoda]

DepressivesBrot
Chief Hamster Herder
captain
Could we maybe settle on one thread? Ideally one of our esteemed mods might be able to merge them.
My Inbox is for IMPORTANT stuff, NOT random queries about the game.
#317355 - 12/04/2013 Re: New Jagged Alliance Game comming [Re: Voyevoda]

Sam_Hotte
lt
+1 smile
SharkD's hotkeys
#317361 - 12/04/2013 Re: New Jagged Alliance Game comming [Re: Voyevoda]

Istrebitel
master sgt
Loc: Russia, Saint-Petersburg
----

Edited by Istrebitel (12/04/2013)
#317362 - 12/04/2013 Re: New Jagged Alliance Game comming [Re: Voyevoda]

DepressivesBrot
Chief Hamster Herder
captain
Relax dude. CaRNi4 posted Frontline Tactics as an example of the Dev's previous work. I doubt sh!tcompo$er would want two competing F2P Online games (remember, they have JA:O already).

The only thing we know so far is that it will probably be turnbased and likely multiplatform.
#317367 - 12/04/2013 Re: New Jagged Alliance Game comming [Re: Voyevoda]

Istrebitel
master sgt
Loc: Russia, Saint-Petersburg
Oh I am a dumbass. I thought that was about upcoming JA game. So stupid. I'm sorry.

Edited by Istrebitel (12/04/2013)
#317369 - 12/04/2013 Full Control to make new Turn Based Jagged Alliance game...

Kaerar
Drifter
Brigadier General
Loc: Australia :D
Just spotted this over at Rock Paper Shotgun:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/04/11/space-hulk-studio-to-make-turn-based-jagged-alliance/

"JAGGED ALLIANCE! JAGGED ALLIANCE! JAGGED ALLIANCE! It’s no good. I just don’t have Alec’s endurance when it comes to repeating words for any length of time. I do have a remarkable degree of stamina when it comes to dancing though and I plan to spend the next five minutes doing the Snoopy dance in celebration of the fact that Full Control, who are currently working on a promising adaptation of Space Hulk, are moving on to a new turn-based Jagged Alliance game once Space Hulk has shipped. Hope springs eternal.

Thomas Hentschel Lund, the studio’s CEO, had this to say:

It is one of the 3 games besides X-Com and Fallout that really defined the entire genre and is part of our DNA…We are honored and excited to have been the confidence given by bitComposer to give the series a fresh new take whilst staying true to the core mechanics.

Perhaps we are related because it’s part of my DNA too. Let’s hope the next family reunion is full of jubilation rather than the usual recriminations and disapproval.

bitComposer, in handing over development responsibilities to Full Control, sent these words to the world’s press:

We have been keeping an eye on Full Control for the last couple of years and have been suitably impressed with their take on turn-based tactical gaming and in particular their awesome work in bringing the classic Space Hulk franchise back to life…We are excited to learn more about their plans for the franchise.

As are we all, I’m sure. It’s definitely going to be fully turn-based and the press release even includes a few words of regret concerning Back in Action:

Jagged Alliance was first released in 1994 and is still counted as one the best turn based strategy games of its time. After the release of Jagged Alliance 2 in 1999 the series slipped back into the cold war and received a reboot in 2010 with Jagged Alliance – Back in Action, which received mixed reactions from the community and press after its departure from turn-based action gameplay.

That’s as strong a statement of regret as a press release ever really contains. ‘Mixed reactions’ can describe even the greatest travesty, as long as the interface designer’s mum liked it. Back in Action wasn’t a travesty, but as an uncomfortable remix of the superb Jagged Alliance 2, it was something of a disappointment.

More on the new game when we know it."

Looks like we are in for a proper JA2 sequel this time wink

Edited by Shanga (23/04/2013)
#317370 - 12/04/2013 Re: Full Control to make new Turn Based Jagged Alliance game... [Re: Kaerar]

DepressivesBrot
Chief Hamster Herder
captain
You are late to the party:
http://www.bears-pit.com/board/ubbthread...html#Post317336
http://www.bears-pit.com/board/ubbthread...html#Post317367

But since you are a global mod, could you consolidate them in any way?
#317371 - 12/04/2013 Re: Full Control to make new Turn Based Jagged Alliance game... [Re: Kaerar]

Kaerar
Drifter
Brigadier General
I am indeed late to the party widegrin

But I have been away in my defence, just noticed it on RPS and thought I should pop by and say hi widegrin

I'll see what I can do to merge all the threads smile

EDIT: All topics merged. Probably not that cleanly, but hey single place for continued discussion widegrin

Edited by Kaerar (12/04/2013)
#317375 - 12/04/2013 Re: Full Control to make new Turn Based Jagged Alliance game... [Re: Kaerar]

Agrippa
private
Loc: Canada
I fired off a quick message to Full Control with features I'd hope to see in their version of JA:
- Turn-based gameplay.
- Full 3D engine.
- A strategic level (hiring/firing mercs, capturing towns, securing revenue).
- Some of the 'RPG' elements with quests from NPC's that affect the strategic level.
- The wide variety of equipment and guns (especially the inventory system from 1.13).
- A sense of 'fun', in that JA2 had the interludes with Deidranna and Eliott - BIA didn't even show your opponent aside from some posters and mentions. To me, JA should be like an 80's action movie. Heck give each merc a series of unique one-liners they occasionally quote when they execute a memorable kill.
- Suppression. The 2nd most important mod in 1.13 was suppression, it gave a purpose to machineguns (which in JA2 were just heavy assault rifles with larger magazines, otherwise they were pointless).
- Vehicles, having to trudge around the strategic map serves no purpose, especially late game when you have more territory to cover, I never understood why BIA didn't have vehicles - especially when I had to constantly shuttle my mercs around with weapons for my militia.
- The 1.13 militia system.

I got a response from a Thomas at Full Control who said "Thanks for your mail! I cant at this point in time comment much about things - "more announcements soon". But you'll be mostly happy :-)".
#317378 - 13/04/2013 Re: Full Control to make new Turn Based Jagged Alliance game... [Re: Agrippa]

Sucho
private
I really don't know why are all people into the graphics in the games so much. Game designers these days care about graphics too much and the game itself sucks. Or is too short, engine is too rough(it just doesn't feel right), or even incomplete with promise of future DLCs and other things like that. Look at the JA2. Graphics is pretty much outdated, but they still were not able to bring us the successor that we would love as much as this masterpiece. Just saying..

Best regards,
Sucho
#317381 - 13/04/2013 Re: Full Control to make new Turn Based Jagged Alliance game... [Re: Kaerar]

Kaerar
Drifter
Brigadier General
Graphics are a very important part of the immersion in the game. Playing JA2 now for me is actually quite hard due to having dual 1080p monitors, which makes running at a max of 1024x768 really pretty harsh on the eyes.

You are right that a lot of dev's miss putting a lot of time into the base mechanics of a game in favour of graphics, but usually that's due to the nature of what they are trying to sell. In the time since JA2 came out there have been few to zero attempts to do any games in the same kind of genre. The ones that did attempt to do so, lacked in usability and many of the basics, like simple easy to use UI's etcetera.

Also you have to remember JA2 has evolved a lot in the past decade. Vanilla JA2 is not even close to what 1.13 is now. The difference is like night and day, not to mention that 1.13 would scare the pants off gamers these days for the most part who've been brought up on the Halo's of the last decade.

Having had a look at the TX engine it looks serviceable enough for the job, still relying on a square/tile based system making calculations for a lot of things faster than a dynamic system (which is what I'd prefer...), which in turn should keep it very close to JA2's original design. As long as they basically read the 1.13 changelog, they might just come up with something good wink

At least they'll be a lot better than the recent attempts...
#317383 - 13/04/2013 Re: Full Control to make new Turn Based Jagged Alliance game... [Re: Sucho]

Agrippa
private
Loc: Canada
Unfortunately graphics matter if they want to sell this game to new players. Plus as someone noted, most monitors are much larger than 1024 x 640.

What is key is a full 3d engine. Being able to spin the camera around would help in seeing cover, obstructions. It also prevents problems such as being unable to disable a mine right in front of a doorway.
#317384 - 13/04/2013 Re: Full Control to make new Turn Based Jagged Alliance game... [Re: Kaerar]

Yaguar
Corporal 1st class
Loc: DE
I hope Full Control makes it mod-friendly. I think the community deserves it.
#317424 - 14/04/2013 Re: Full Control to make new Turn Based Jagged Alliance game... [Re: Kaerar]

Shanga

Major General
Loc: Danubia

I am almost tired to watch another attempt at this.

JA2 is about RPG and micromanagement ontop of a military theme. All three aspects count. Nobody except Sir-tech has ever been able to reproduce them.
#317426 - 14/04/2013 Re: Full Control to make new Turn Based Jagged Alliance game... [Re: Kaerar]

Jenkarno
Corporal 1st class
Loc: Oregon, USA
I've been playing their game, "Frontline Tactics". Haven't come to a conclusion about it other than it is a long ways off of being a JA-whatever game. The mechanics of the game are good but there are a lot of areas that need improvements.
#317427 - 14/04/2013 Re: Full Control to make new Turn Based Jagged Alliance game... [Re: Kaerar]

Sam_Hotte
lt
Frontline Tactics is OK as a casual turn based shoot out with low tactical depth, IMO. But as it is lacking any strategical component whatsoever, has no interaction of characters, no storyline, etc. it can hardly be more than some sort of tech demo for a possible tactical part of a JA game ...

Let them finish space hulk and see ... smile
SharkD's hotkeys
#317430 - 14/04/2013 Re: Full Control to make new Turn Based Jagged Alliance game... [Re: Kaerar]

Parkan
master sgt
Loc: Russia,Sevastopol
Maybe i can say something wrong about it,but.How i remember first time when bitcomposter games decide to make remake of Ja2-they say that will be a true remake.When half of game was completed they decided to make non turn-based game and made real-time\pause game like brigade e5 and etc.After game was completed gamers saw that game is really a piece of bug shit.So,as for me i don't belive anymore in a true remake.Waiting wasteland 2 or something like that for now.
(c)Robocop
#317508 - 17/04/2013 Re: Full Control to make new Turn Based Jagged Alliance game... [Re: Kaerar]

JMich
Fighting the XML Editor
first sergeant
Loc: Greece
#317513 - 17/04/2013 Re: Full Control to make new Turn Based Jagged Alliance game... [Re: Kaerar]

Max_for_Hire
corporal
^A nice read. And I really hope they can deliver. SpaceHulk was an favorite of mine too.

BoxMacLeod
#317518 - 17/04/2013 Re: Full Control to make new Turn Based Jagged Alliance game... [Re: Kaerar]

Shadow21
first sergeant
so a kickstarter in the making hmm.... might be the first one i support if it feels right

Edited by Shadow21 (17/04/2013)
#317524 - 18/04/2013 Re: Full Control to make new Turn Based Jagged Alliance game... [Re: Shadow21]

Peal
master sgt
Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: Shadow21
so a kickstarter in the making hmm.... might be the first one i support if it feels right

There goes my money ...

I have a good feeling!

Edited by Peal (18/04/2013)
#317525 - 18/04/2013 Re: Full Control to make new Turn Based Jagged Alliance game... [Re: Kaerar]

Shadow21
first sergeant
yeah after reading some of the interviews my outlook on this changed for the better.
btw here is the official homepage of the game http://www.jaggedallianceflashback.com/

Edited by Shadow21 (18/04/2013)
#317530 - 18/04/2013 Re: Full Control to make new Turn Based Jagged Alliance game... [Re: Shadow21]

Peal
master sgt

Thanks!

also Space Hulk gameplay:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSlgF96OtPY

There you can hear this CEO of Full Control speaking about SH

Edited by Peal (18/04/2013)
#317574 - 19/04/2013 Re: Full Control to make new Turn Based Jagged Alliance game... [Re: Kaerar]

Kaerar
Drifter
Brigadier General
I do like that in the interview they didn't want to just reskin the tech demo to make JA2 clone 33. Still a little unsure of how they will deal with a full JA series game though.
#317578 - 20/04/2013 Re: Full Control to make new Turn Based Jagged Alliance game... [Re: Kaerar]

Peal
master sgt
there is a new interview at pockettactics.com

Where Thomas Hentschel Lund gets asked about 1.13 and he says:
Quote:
Oh man, yeah. It’s incredible. I’m not sure I like every bit of it.

Don't know what to think about that, I never thought that even a little tiny bit of 1.13 would be questionable!?

Isn't it perfect? redracer
#317579 - 20/04/2013 Re: Full Control to make new Turn Based Jagged Alliance game... [Re: Kaerar]

DepressivesBrot
Chief Hamster Herder
captain
No, but criticism is above your paygrade tongue
Most of us here have some stuff they dislike, but hey, that's why everything is optional.
#317580 - 20/04/2013 Re: Full Control to make new Turn Based Jagged Alliance game... [Re: Kaerar]

Peal
master sgt
I would love to know what exactly he dislikes. I already like the guy, but I also liked Jan Wagner from Cliffhanger Production and JA Online felt like a chewing gum without any flavour left, but I really liked the smell of it.
#317594 - 20/04/2013 Re: Full Control to make new Turn Based Jagged Alliance game... [Re: Kaerar]

Hazapuza
master sgt
Loc: Finland
The interviews restored some hope (and proved me wrong), especially since the platforms turned out to be PC, Mac and Linux. But I also got the impression that the game won't be as nonlinear as JA2, mainly due to Lund's choice of words in some of his answers. We'll see, at least if the Kickstarter campaign succeeds.
#317595 - 20/04/2013 Re: Full Control to make new Turn Based Jagged Alliance game... [Re: Kaerar]

Shepard
private 1st class
Loc: Chitzena beach
If kickstarter succeeds, there´ll be a forum where we can post our suggestions...or critisize when they deliver first preview.

I really hope they´ll start from 1.13 mod.
#317619 - 21/04/2013 Re: Full Control to make new Turn Based Jagged Alliance game... [Re: Kaerar]

EXos
sergeant
Damn that interview gave me hope again... More so as it seems that these guys actually played JA and JA2.

I'll support the kickstarter as this studio seems to have all the good ideas.
Lund sold me with the Line."No, it’s back to the chessboard."

Is the sun finally dawning after the darkness of the last 15 years?

Taken from the JaggedAllaince.com forums Anti RTwP thread
#317647 - 22/04/2013 Re: Full Control to make new Turn Based Jagged Alliance game... [Re: Kaerar]

Peal
master sgt
Tomorrow they wanna launch the Kick Starter Page

Edited by Peal (22/04/2013)
#317656 - 23/04/2013 Re: Full Control to make new Turn Based Jagged Alliance game... [Re: Kaerar]

dethica
corporal
I just noticed something strange.
this is a screenshot from JA:Crossfire (the JABIA standalone DLC):
http://cdn2.steampowered.com/v/gfx/apps/...pg?t=1356028527

And this is the background image from "jagged alliance flashback" webpage:
http://www.jaggedallianceflashback.com/ANNOUNCED_background.jpg

They based their concept art on JACf or just took Coreplay's concept art and slapped their logo on it.

Even though bitcomposer probably owns all the assets, I do not approve of this level of laziness.
#317658 - 23/04/2013 Re: Full Control to make new Turn Based Jagged Alliance game... [Re: Kaerar]

Skott Karlsson
master sgt
Loc: Oldsmar, FL. USA
Well, its been a while since I last checked in. Months I believe. Anyway its nice to hear someone is going to attempt to make a, hopefully, true turn based sequel to JA &JA2. Is hell freezing over??
#317660 - 23/04/2013 Re: Full Control to make new Turn Based Jagged Alliance game... [Re: dethica]

Peal
master sgt
Originally Posted By: dethica

They based their concept art on JACf or just took Coreplay's concept art and slapped their logo on it.

Even though bitcomposer probably owns all the assets, I do not approve of this level of laziness.

This isn't lazy at all, in fact it's pretty common in pre production to sketch artworks based on existing pictures.
I'll do it all the time, because everything else would be a waste of time.

It's about getting a presentation ready,in order to maintain production and investment. And ofc to sketch the project's style and aesthetics.

For the sake of art, they do need to make an Kickstarter Campaign, have a break!

You don't know in what context they did it. Maybe they did this even on purpose, just to show bitComposer their vision of Flashback.

No better way to communicate what you have in mind by taking an old picture of old content just to draw a new concept art, for a new vision.

Edited by Peal (23/04/2013)
#317672 - 23/04/2013 Re: Full Control to make new Turn Based Jagged Alliance game... [Re: Kaerar]

Shadow21
first sergeant
i feel that there is not enough hype behind this to start a kickstarter campaign yet especially if an unknown developer asks for money. i really hope they did there homework and created a solid pitch...

Edited by Shadow21 (23/04/2013)
#317673 - 23/04/2013 Re: Full Control to make new Turn Based Jagged Alliance game... [Re: Kaerar]

Peal
master sgt
Here we go, the campaign is online:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2079547763/jagged-alliance-flashback?ref=live

i feel that there is not enough hype behind this to start a kickstarter campaign yet especially if an unknown developer asks for money. i really hope they did there homework and created a solid pitch...

Exactly what I think. I hope they have an solid marketing plan, yet to unfold.

Edited by Peal (23/04/2013)
#317674 - 23/04/2013 Re: Full Control to make new Turn Based Jagged Alliance game... [Re: Kaerar]

Shadow21
first sergeant
good find.

lol their site hasnt been updated yet
#317675 - 23/04/2013 Re: Full Control to make new Turn Based Jagged Alliance game... [Re: Kaerar]

Shadow21
first sergeant
hmmm what can i say? im not really blown away by their pitch. sounds okish but its lacking details in my opinion. probably gonna back it either way. most likely im going for the 75$ tier. what im really missing is destructibe environment, but i guess that shit is expensive...

just confirmed: destructible environment will be a stretch goal albeit a high one. also shadow is in tongue

#317676 - 23/04/2013 Re: Full Control to make new Turn Based Jagged Alliance game... [Re: Kaerar]

Shadow21
first sergeant
just backed it for 75$
YOLO tongue
http://kck.st/11y3qKL

edit:
you can check trends etc @ kicktraq

edit2: i feel a new thread for the kickstarter campaign is warranted

edit 3 maybe add this to the front page:

maybe even this (taken from the kickstarter page) though it doesnt work in a post:

Code:
<iframe frameborder="0" height="380" src="http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2079547763/jagged-alliance-flashback/widget/card.html" width="220"></iframe>

#317696 - 23/04/2013 Re: Full Control to make new Turn Based Jagged Alliance game... [Re: Kaerar]

Max_for_Hire
corporal
Lets stay optimistic and spread the word.

If they manage to deliver a solid JA game, one that can serve as a new platform for modders, then we'll be set up for the future.

Reading their Mission-statement on the KS-Page. I feel far more at ease than I did with the latest JA we got.

Edited by Max_for_Hire (23/04/2013)
"If you don't&#65279; play Jagged Alliance 2 with tons of guns your an idiot."

BoxMacLeod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  DepressivesBrot 

Forum Stats
11333 Members
87 Forums
7375 Topics
134388 Posts

Max Online: 345 @ 01/05/2012
Copyright 2000-2013 Bear's Pit